Homekit compatible devices, can I assume these will work with SmartThings?

If a device is listed as Homekit ready, can I assume ST will be able to use it as well? When looking for devices compatible with ST, it is not always obvious if it will work.

No, in fact you should assume that it will not work with smartthings. HomeKit and smartthings are two completely different platforms at this time.

There are a few devices that will work with both, but they will say so on the box. This includes some Phillips hue devices, some Meross models, Lutron Caseta with their SmartBridge, some Yale by August smart locks, some Arlo camera models, Ecobee thermostats, and a few others.

There is a list in the community – created wiki of devices that work with both listed by device class:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Devices_that_Work_with_HomeKit_and_SmartThings

This may all change late next year once the new Matter standard is deployed, since both Apple HomeKit and smartthings have said they will offer some matter support. But we won’t know for sure what’s going to happen with that until devices are actually released to market.

If you’re interested in reading more about that, see the following thread:

Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

Meanwhile, the best way to find devices that work with smartthings is to open the smartthings app, tap on the + in the upper right, go to add a device, Choose a brand, and then drill down to see which models are supported in the integration for your region.

It’s obviously not the quickest way to find candidate devices, but it is the most certain.

Beyond that, come to this forum and search to see if there’s an unofficial integration. Just remember the first rule of home automation: “the model number matters.“ :thinking:

Thanks for your response @JDRoberts !

Is the list of supported devices by brand accurate? Working in tech, I always assume documentation is outdated. Considering the community I also assume anything is possible.

In my use case I am trying to connect some Lifx bulbs and I’m thinking they aren’t supported :frowning:

this is not a documentation list but list of available drivers from manufacturer/ST.

Also you can always try community driver or became a member of community by commiting.

What’s the model number of the LIFX bulbs? Are they on the list of supported devices that appears in the app? While nothing is guaranteed, that list is usually good.

If they aren’t on that list, contact LIFX support and ask them. (Since SmartThings published their API about 18 months ago, device integrations, with a very few exceptions, are now the responsibility of the device manufacturer to create and maintain.)

The LIFX integration is used by quite a few community members. According to the LIFX website it is a cloud to cloud integration, so you need to first set up the lights with an LIFX account and their app and make sure everything is working that way.

https://support.lifx.com/categories/smartthings-H1G9XBrt

Once that’s done, open your smartthings app and add the device to SmartThings from there.