Home Automation Options for People who are quadriplegic/quadriparetic

For Harmony, the key is always to start by creating a Harmony activity that does exactly what you want. After that it’s easy to use Echo to activate the activity.

Discussion of setting up Pause, etc in my Project thread. But basically you just set up an activity with a step for the key you want.

Thank you.
I need to read your post again.
Carefully this time.

I use Ooma and have cordless handsets for that line. The Panasonic base unit has Bluetooth so when my cell rings it also rings all the cordless phones and they act just like an extension, CID and Call waiting work just fine. So this allows me to answer my cell from any phone in the house while leaving my cell on the charger.

So this option should let her answer any call using Siri and anyone else in the house to still answer calls she does’t want to on the handsets. Also the talking Caller ID is a nice addition.

Only downside is the cell phone needs to be in bluetooth range for this to work.

This is the cordless setup I have

1 Like

Thanks I forgot all about that option.
My Ooma came with a blue tooth adapter that I never used.

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

I need some help.

I want to send a Sony IR code for the “PAUSE” button from my Harmony Hub.

Currently I have:
A Harmony Activity named "Pager"
A Smartthings Thing named "Pager [Harmony Activity]"
A Smarthings SmartApp for Echo
My IR to Relay board pictured above that I programed to receive and process Sony IR codes.

In Harmony I am using a DVD player as the device which doesn’t physically exist I am only using it because I needed a device that Harmony would recognize for my Sony IR PAUSE command.
My problem is that the Harmony Activity “Pager” has to first turn on a device before it will send the pause command. This works fine the first time I ask Alexa to “Turn on Pager” however the next time I try nothing happens unless I first ask Alexa to “Turn off Pager”.

Is there a way to make the device always ON and only send the PAUSE or better yet just send the Sony IR PAUSE?

Thanks,
-BB

EDIT:
I am able to send the Sony IR PAUSE command with the SmartThings ThingShield+Arduino but I think I should be able to do it with the Harmony Hub

I finally had some time to work on my project.
Since we already have very reliable IR control using my Wife’s iPad + Command Fusion + iTach IP2IR I really wanted to augment what we have with Alexia rather than building a second system using the Harmony hub.

I found the following thread (post #27) which allows me to add our ST Hub and Alexia to our existing iTach IP2IR.

ST Hub + iTach IP2IR

Works great!

1 Like