SmartThings Community

Home Automation - 3 - 4 Month Project [May - Aug] (Canada)

Ok, that info definitely helps rethink the layout. I’ll post updates once I get the keys on Wednesday.

1 Like

Is the house brick or wood? And does it have extra insulation in the walls? And do you use radiant heating where there are water pipes in the walls everywhere? And if there is wallpaper, is any of it metallic?

Exterior is Brick, the interior seems to be wood/drywall (typical construction). Heating is all through a central furnace and no wallpaper. The top 2 floors alone (so ground and first) are by themselves around 4500sqft and the basement probably adds another 2000sqft. Its big… for 2 people.

Edit: I should add, most rooms are almost completely open except in the basement. Usually in the ground and first floor theres is only 1 or 2 walls separating the area.

1 Like

That sounds pretty typical then, you should get decent range out of all your devices.

Basements and garages are always tricky: lots of concrete, usually big metal things (including cars And appliances), sometimes EM interference from various electrical equipment. often water pipes.

Put the hub on the ground floor, preferably near the center of the house. It will probably reach a lot of devices on the first floor as well.

If you’re going to have devices outside the house that you want to include in your network, put a repeater near a clear glass window and put a pocket socket on an External plug on that wall. It gets tricky if you have outdoor devices on multiple sides of the house, you may need to use either lightbulbs or additional pocket sockets and bounce signal around since it probably won’t go through your brick walls. But you can test this to some extent just by seeing what kind of a Wi-Fi signal you get on your phone when you are walking around outside your house. if you see the signal drop off when you turn the corner, it probably will for your smartthings network as well. So again, you’ll just need to experiment if you intend to have outdoor devices.

Getting signal to the basement may be a little tricky, but it always is. :sunglasses:

I am thinking how I could central mount the hub. This wednesday is going to be mainly planning everything out once I finish moving in. And then start setting everything up room by room.

1 Like

Hey @JDRoberts,
Could you point me in the direction of which lutron switch to get and how to reset the hue whites? If I get it (which is almost 100% guaranteed) I might need it just in case.

This is the only one (Lutron Connected Bulb Remote) that can reset the bulbs:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Connected-Bulb-Remote-LZL-4B-WH-L01/206196450

Don’t go by looks, there are several switches with a similar appearance.

I know the US one will work. I’m honestly not sure about the Canadian one, it has a different model number (-C on the end) and I don’t know if it works exactly the same way although it looks like it should.

Here’s the link to the Canadian one at Home Depot in Canada. If anybody tries this, let us know if it works the same way to reset Bulbs

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.connected-bulb-remote.1000836127.html

And here’s the link to the LUtron pages about it. Look at the videos in the overview section to see how to reset an individual bulb

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/Components/ConnectedBulbRemoteControl/ModelNumbers.aspx

1 Like

Thanks, you’re a lifesaver! :grin:

1 Like

I know that the smartthings power outlet is rated for indoor use, does this include inside a closed Garage? Temperatures here can be as high as 35 Celsius in summer and -20 to -30 Celsius in winter.

You’ll just need to check the temperature range on it. A lot of people do use them in garages, but those typically have some heat in the winter. It’s a plug-in, so it should have a wider range then a battery operated device, I just don’t know the specs offhand.

I’ve looked in the manual as well as online, I’ll send ST support an email and check. It simply says for indoor use only under temperature =(

1 Like

There you go. I remember most things I read, but if they didn’t write it, I can’t remember it. :wink:

@ZebraBlinds

That’s the powers that be telling you to move to a much more hospital place… For instance, the inside of an active volcano. I hear that Serbia is nice in the spring. The dark side of the moon maybe? Down town Los Angeles or possibly the den of a rabid badger.

So quick update. Bought a few philips hue whites, had a bit of difficulty connecting the first bulb. All the remaining ones took less than 30 seconds each. I sourced a few z-wave door/window sensors and motion sensors that pair easily and works well for around $20 for the door sensor and $35 for the motion sensor. Currently testing their reliability; so far so good.

The outdoor lights are also automated with garage doors and almost all light switches in the house to follow.

Also any recommendations on wall switches/dimmer switches that are affordable and gets the job done without any major fuss? I am looking at buying around 5 - 6 of them initially.

Z wave switches, in particular, can offer many different optional features, and different people will want different ones. This can significantly affect the cost of the switch as well. The following thread has a good discussion:

Where did you source them and what are they?

Through a few of the suppliers we deal with I was able to get in touch with a company that manufactures and sell them. My employer has been looking into providing home automation accessories like these for the past few months so all of these are testing units. We will start selling them in a few months for the same prices I listed. So far its been a week and I haven’t had any issues. They are made in china so there is that, but quality wise from what I can see, for the price they are excellent.

Yeah, please let me know when there is stocking information. We are being ripped off for the limited selection that exists.

1 Like

We are currently working on certifications as well as bringing the shipping costs down. The various steps needed is taking a lot more time than we expected it to.

1 Like