History logging automations "activated" that did not actually run due to precondition

My History (old and latest version of app) is showing Automations having a time (e.g. every day at 11:30pm) are “activated” at 11:30pm even tho the location precondition is not met.

It is not actually running any of the THEN functions (i.e., it is not really activated) but it is certainly annoying to see this message, and no distinguishing between whether it actually ran or not due to the condition/pre-condition.

@smarthings this is not good/helpful IMO

I take a completely different view. I want to know that the Automation has been activated (i.e. has checked its conditions to see if it needs to do anything). It may be that the Automation is being activated when it shouldn’t be or isn’t being activated when it should be. Once I can see that it is activating only when I intend it to, I can then go on to assess if the conditions are being evaluated as I intend them to.

If all I know is when the Automation has activated in such a way that the conditions are true, that isn’t telling me so much.

You have a point… but can’t we have it both ways

Activated - for some condition evaluated true
Executed - for all conditions evaluated true

in the logs?

I guess the issue might be that Automations and Scenes are simple instances of Rules and ‘both ways’ doesn’t begin to describe the complexity Rules can reach. So it may be a simple record of activation is as far as the History could easily ago. However there certainly does seem to be a need for more thorough logging of Automations / Scenes / Rules somewhere, even if it isn’t in the History specifically.

User access to logging information has always been a bit of a weakness of SmartThings.

You’d think this would be an emphasis, because logging would allow users to self-diagnose issues better without having to open a ticket.

Which is exactly what I’m going to do now.