Hints on setting up Echo with ST, Hue and GE Links

Welcome! The SmartThings/echo integration is fantastic. I use it all the time, as do many community members. SmartThings makes echo a hundred times better

We have step by step FAQs for this, give me a second to post the links. :sunglasses:

So once you’ve done that set up, you can use echo to turn individual devices on and off and smart things. So far so good, and it’s basically the same integration as you would have if you had Insteon or Wink. Or just the hue bridge.

Going beyond turning a light on or off

But now comes the SmartThings advantage. In smart things, you can create a “virtual switch” which doesn’t really exist, but which is a button in your mobile app that smart things will treat like a real switch. And so will echo. :sunglasses:

Then you can tie that virtual switch going on and off to a whole combination of devices and activities and mode changes and pretty much anything you can do in SmartThings or through the smart pthings IFTTT channel. So that opens up all kinds of options for echo voice control that echo by itself doesn’t give you.

This is why I can have Echo pause Netflix ( using Harmony with SmartThings and a virtual switch) while Amazon’s own FireTV voice control can’t.)