Help me Mute TV when Phone Rings

My apologies! I thought I had linked to the post where I better explained the steps for a different example showing how to flash your lights when the phone rings which also has a video in it:

How can I make a light flash when the cell phone rings? - #5 by joshua_lyon
Flash a light when the phone rings using Tasker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUnJkw-8PzY

Since you want to pause a Harmony controlled device directly, I would consider using the Harmony Plugin rather than SharpTools. I haven’t personally tried that particular plugin, but it looks like it does what you want and seems to be well reviewed.

The Harmony plugin interacts directly with Harmony and has nothing to do with SmartThings per se. This means it can implement it’s own protocol and in this case has implemented the capability to directly send remote commands in addition to starting activities. This means it can directly send the pause command.

So following the concept from the video above, you would first download and setup the Harmony plugin, then:

1. Create a new Tasker Event profile for PhoneRinging
  2. Create a new Task with an action for the Harmony plugin
  3. Configure the Harmony plugin to select your Hub, then Send Command, then your Device, then Pause
  4. Save and fully back out of Tasker, then test it!

SharpTools can definitely do this, but since it is controlling SmartThings devices and the Harmony ‘device’ in SmartThings only supports starting an activity, this would mean you would have to create a whole Harmony activity dedicated to just pausing your devices.

And to answer your question about linking the Harmony, SharpTools is designed to control your SmartThings devices, so you would have to link your Harmony to SmartThings first (instructions) and then authorize that device in SharpTools.

And SmartThings requires you to pass in an activity ID to the startActivity() command which adds one more more step/complication to getting this running - see this thread for more details and screenshots showing how to set it up if you choose that route.

While this would work, it seems a bit hacky compared to just directly controlling the media device (via the Harmony) using the Harmony Tasker plugin.

1 Like