Harmony Home Control

Yes.

Weird, then. I’m not sure what you’re seeing, but I feel your pain. It sounds frustrating.

I’m not in the harmony beta for smartthings so I’m not sure what the process is for getting help with that. I’d check with the beta group.

@thegibertchan Can we please have an update on the progress of this fix???

3 Likes

I am not a part of the beta and have not read every post but I just signed back into the Logitech Harmony ST Labs app and logged in and it then found my hub. And then when I went to the Things screen there was an icon for Harmony (never seen this before) and I was able to send an “End Activity” command from SmartThings TO the Harmony (for the current activity only). I’ve never even gotten logged in previously. Is this new?

Look forward to trying later today when back at home :slight_smile: I have never seen it before

And now there was a harmony firmware update today, and the IFTTT channel as of a few hours ago for harmony will no longer let me send an end activity instruction for an activity that is not currently active. It now throws a harmony error, which it didn’t used to do.

Which is a pain, because it means now you have to use momentary switches instead of binary switches for harmony, and there’s no longer a substitute for the “all off” button on the physical button remote. Which means there’s no longer a substitute for the “all off” button on the physical button remote. You either have to know which activity you’re in, and turn that specific activity off, which means two momentary buttons for every activity… Or you’re going to have to have an activity which is just for turning things off where you have two buttons for that, and you start that activity and then you end that activity.

And if that’s giving you a headache, yeah, exactly…

Physically able people are undoubtedly going to just grab the remote and hit the off button.

For those of us who need voice control, everything will still work, it’s just going to be more awkward. It’s going to have to be “Alexa, turn on get ready.” Followed by “Alexa, turn on Exit.” Or something like that.

Granted, if you only have one TV watching activity, it won’t be a big deal because you always know what activity you’re in, and you can just have to momentary buttons, one for on and one for off.

But if you want to get fancy, and have one TV watching activity for video games and another TV watching activity for horror movies and another TV watching activity for comedies, you either have to have an off button for each of them or you have to have the two-stage exit.

I’m assuming all of this will be much better with the new SmartThings/harmony integration, but I don’t know for sure because I’m not in that beta group.

Meanwhile, Harmony’s behavior in its IFTTT channel changed today. So I have to redo a bunch of recipes.

Note also that it wouldn’t have mattered if I was doing momentary buttons before, I would still have a problem. Because I used to just have one power off activity, and now it doesn’t matter whether it’s a momentary button or a binary switch trying to trigger that, harmony is giving me and IFTTT error because I didn’t start the activity before I tried to end it.

I don’t know whether that has anything to do with the end activity option you’re seeing in the smart app or not, but here we are.

I just checked on IFTTT and harmony apps and all my same links are there. I have a momentary for each activity and one for “power off”. All are still linked in IFTTT and functioning normally.

I am happy for you. How specifically does your “power off” work? Are you starting or ending a harmony activity?

I was adding a bunch of new recipes today to go with the new echo integration, so I did end up adding new home devices and new Harmony activities and therefore re-authorizing my harmony channel. It has no problem setting up the recipes or dealing with the individual devices. It’s just that now if I send a request to end an activity that is not the current activity it appears as though nothing happened, but when I check the IFTTT log for that recipe it says that harmony returned an error and was unable to complete the request. That’s new.

edited to add:

OK, after midnight Saturday night, things changed again. I was working on the IFTTT site, changing everything over to momentary buttons, and all of a sudden harmony pushed a whole bunch of activities into my drop-down list which were not my activities. Names I never seen before, for devices I’ve never had. So obviously they were doing some kind of back into work.

Shortly after that, we were back to the situation we’ve had for months: if you send an end activity request for an activity which is not currently active, it goes ahead and executes it. No harmony error message in the IFTTT recipe log. So that’s very good, because it gives us back the “all off” button equivalent.

So now it’s very simple as long as you use momentary switches. I use the “momentary button tile” device type in the ID.

Like others in this thread I now just. need one momentary switch for each activity i want to turn on and One momentary switch to power off everything.

I guess all the changes have something to do with the bottom option (add hub extender) added to the settings menu in my app in yesterday’s app update . . . Hmmm is it finally here ?

As you can see it lets me actively look for it but it cannot find it as i obviously dont own one :slight_smile:

Thanks for reaching out. Working out a few bugs and testing so that we don’t have two different install smartapps.

3 Likes

Still says “coming soon” on the website.

It was a preorder about 10 days ago on Amazon, and a friend of mine ordered one, but then this week they canceled his order saying there was no inventory expected. So I don’t know what’s going on with it. It’s been “coming soon” for about a year now.

1 Like

It seems like a lifetime i agree, but id say an app update that includes an add function and detailed notes on adding it to your existing hub plus lots of maintance and changes in their current services (as noticed by everyone) and several recent big firmware updates that we may be closer than ever (just reading between the lines mind you)

Even more so if a pre-order went up then dissapeared, maybe they hit a last minute issue…

If ive been told correctly, the harmony team is still fairly small even though its part of logitech hence why they are useless at support and speed in regards to everything they do… They should really open the harmony platform up a bit more in my eyes, so people can help excel its productivity like ST do here :slight_smile: but lets be fair they never will…

I’m not a beta tester but I was recently able to add my Harmony as a thing using "Logitech Harmony Connect in ST. After that I installed the “Logitech Harmony Trigger” and have been able to control activities when certain actions happen in ST. For example, I have a Movie Mode that sets my lights and turns on my Movie activity I had setup on my Harmony remote.

So I did some more testing and I think it has to do with the August Smart Lock integration with Harmony. It seems when the lock is added to any “activities” that activity cannot be executed outside the Harmony App. So I can’t execute that activity using IFTTT or SmartThings. If I remove the lock from the activity everything seems to work. Must be some security thing.

Looks like you answered your own question, @jdroberts. But just in case, my “harmony off” momentary is tied to IFTTT via the “start activity”, “power off a/v”.

Interesting, mine is tied to an end activity, not a start. left over from the days, now gone, when you could have a global light setting for the power off button on the physical button remote. Which meant you could have the lights come back on when the off button was pushed. That went away in, I think, in April when Harmony moved the device settings to the activity. I’ll have to look at that again.

Thanks for the detail!

Can we have a sticky somewhere with the current Harmony integration status, I had it working a few weeks ago and now have reinstalled but none of the activities show up. Are we supposed to install both smart apps or only one? If just one which do we choose?

This would be great. I’m one of the “Smart Control” people that am trying to take advantage of the recent harmony hub software upgrade but have not been able to get SmartThings to see my hub to be able send commands to harmony. Specifically, I would love my “Power Down” ST action to be able to turn off my entertainment system

Jonathan, you need to install Harmony Connect to be able to see the hub and then Harmony Trigger to get it to trigger based off certain events in you smart home.

That works with virtual switches, but I could have sworn at one time my activities showed up inside the Harmony tile in the wide tile right above “end activity” and “refresh” (that wide tile is now blank)

It might have at one time. The harmony/Smartthings integration has gone through a number of versions. At one point it was a direct local connection, then it was cloud to cloud, and now there’s a new integration being worked on. what you saw in the app has changed over time.