Google Home

Yeah, I got my around $70 so figured what the heck. Since I use a Chromecast vs my PS3 on my theater, it has a niche function. Just being able to tell it to play something to the Chromecast, pause, change volume, is nice. We always loose our phones when watching movies, slides behind cushions, off the couch, that sort of thing. Saying “hey google pause” is ncie.

Edit: So, expensive Chromecast remote, check.

4 Likes

You know, I’ve got a harmony hub with remote, got it integrated with ST, and have yet to program it to anything other than Alexa, turn on the TV

Oh mine does crazy things in the theater, turns on the led strip around the screen to a slow color cycle, brings the theater recessed lighting to 50%, disables motion in the hall, my office, and upstairs that would bleed downstairs. Kills my wife’s office lights that would do the same, turns on the basement fan in the summer if over a certain temp.

Then it turns up the led strip slowly to red after I shut the activity down, waits a bit and turns up the recessed lighting, flips on the hall light and re-enables motion.

Mix of CoRE and Harmony ST integration.

I got REAL bored one night.

But now I can use GH to pause, which, once I get the plexplus thing working, will bring lights up/down as I pause/unpause Plex. That’ll be cool.

3 Likes

LOL. That’s basically what it’s good for, until Logitech actually integrates the ability to control volume, non-favorite channel navigation and play/ff/rw.

So for now, the integration with Alexa is really no better than the one with ST.

2 Likes

Yes, actually if you have a Pixel with Google Assistant, if you say OK google to it while your GH units are nearby, it’ll hand the job over to the GHs and happily ignore you after.
It’s actually annoying but I haven’t researched how to turn it off.
This is what happened the other day:
-> speaks to Pixel - ‘OK Google, remind me to check mailbox tomorrow morning’
-> GH: ‘Sorry, that feature is not yet supported.’
-> me: …

As for the other unit telling me the weather? That’s still a puzzle to me. I guess if I turn the bedroom light on it thinks I’m interested to know how cold is it outside?

I just got a pixel last week so maybe I need to try s GH although the wife would prefer I fixed or replaced the dishwasher that broke tonight. On a totally off topic note now my Android auto works perfect now that I have a pixel.

I’m afraid I’m going to have to side with your wife on this one. If she’s that injured you should definitely have her treated.

OK…flame on.

Ha,why not replaced?

Well, I didn’t want to appear as being generous with your money.

I got two Dots to check it out, and returned them right away. The speech is so much more life-like on the Google Home. The Dots sounded robotic and it could not answer any esoteric questions I threw at it. I asked GH how many episodes were in season 1 of smallville, and she knew the answer right away. Oh and the speaker on the Dot just wasn’t loud enough, and it sounded like a cheap radio. I’m sold on the GH and I’m going to get two more when it goes on sale.

I was talking about the wife…

Cheaper to keep her. And a newer model will have problems too.

True,true I don’t often quote the wisdom of bikers but they have a saying.

I know it’s been mentioned and I don’t have a GH but if it’s like GA on the Pixel it is more conversational. I asked the Pixel what the Pittsburgh Steelers record is. Answered with the record and the percentage. Then I asked “who do they play this weekend?” I got the answer and the time. With Alexa ,unless it changed very recently, I’d have to mention the teams name in the second question.

The search function on Alexa is not the greatest. For most things, a specific skill needs to be enabled on the Amazon app first.

The Wynn and Encore hotels in Las Vegas, known as some of the most luxurious in the city, are getting a technology upgrade this month when they install an Amazon Echo in every single hotel room across the two properties. That’s a total of 4748 Echos, which will enable voice control of various actions in the hotel room.

1 Like

So was I. I can scarcely imagine a more expensive replacement.

Can’t argue there , I was looking at a Kitchenaid architect series 2 . Not a ‘smart’ dishwasher but my current Kitchenaid has been reliable for a long time until it smelled like it was eating itself last night. Sorry for the off topic digression…

Did anyone get a strange Easter Egg in Google Home last night?

I was like:
Me: Hey Google…Play Christmas ( I didn’t tell GH if I want a song or a YouTube video)
GH: You have not linked your Netflix account yet. Please try connecting it.

If this is true, this is so Cool. Now I can tell GH.
Me: Play Fast And The Furious from Netflix on my TV.
GH: Playing Fast and the Furious on Living Room TV.

1 Like

Is this only through Chromecast I assume? Through my harmony hub and it’s integration with ST and Alexa or the direct with Alexa I can say “turn on Netflix” and it’ll change all the necessary inputs and start Netflix but it won’t choose a show for me.

Correct. This integration went official a day or two ago. The update to the Google app and the Google Home app are rolling out to devices now. I’m very excited about this, as it’s the first major integration released after the GH public launch.

1 Like