Get ready to make the switch!

All my Foscam cameras have become switchs in the new ST app. They no longer display a picture taken at sensor movement or when i had them take a picture if the door sensor was open. I hope they can be classified as cameras in the future again.

Did you try going into the web based interface and changing the device type there?

A friend got the notification that his setup was ready to migrate and performed the migration before he found out that he cannot install the new Smartthings App on his older Android Phone. Of course he cannot migrate back and now can no longer add nor edit automations severely crippling his setup. I had to help him locate an inexpensive android tablet to install the new app on so he could maintain his system.
Your app needs to check that the phone platform is supported before issuing the migration or at least warm people of the minimal phone requirements before issuing the migration notification.

3 Likes

in the web based interface is register as a camera. the issue is the the new ST app. In the classic it still recognizes it as a camera but the new one recognizes it as a switch. So the same functions a regular Z-wave ligth switch has my foscams cameras have the same function. the on / off swith becomes the swith the turn on the native function of the camera to become active sensor detecting to off. but doesnt show any pictures taken when it thas trigger.

Ugh. Finally ā€œmigratedā€ to the new app because Classic is going away soon. It wasnā€™t without problems. Not happy with the 60 minute limit on delays, for a number of reasons. Also not keen on the UI. Nothing it intuitive about it. Still running tests to make sure things at least mostly work.

You guys need to delay this a bit more. Things still are not ready. I donā€™t understand why it has to be a downgrade from Classic. Iā€™m not really seeing anything added here. Just removing things that already worked fine.

5 Likes

We need update to automations.

Having to create 2 separate automations do a simply contact control is crazy.

Example: Attic light controlled on/off based on contact status.

However i need to ensure the light is on 100% dimming level incase i changed the setting manually some point.

Simple requirement. I feel that smart lighting used to handle with no issue. Unless smart lighting is being improved and released officially?

Infact just adding an else option could open up a lot.

It appears that webCoRE will still be available, even though itā€™s Groovy. If this is true, then itā€™s a great rule engine and is very intuitive. IMHO

2 Likes

I thought Smart Lighting was still available to install and use in the new ST App? In fact, I just checked and it is available from within the new ST App. Why not just use it? It is still the only way to have any automations run locally on the hub, AFAIK.

5 Likes

I have a couple custom DTH I made that ā€œworkā€ but look like garbage on the new app. Iā€™ve spent a couple hours looking through the documentation for changes and itā€™s unclear what I need to do to make it look less awful.

One is a smart garage door opener which looked great on the old app, but things like the multiAttributeTile donā€™t seem to be supported anymore?

Can anyone take a screenshot of what their garage door (if they have one) looks like in the new app? I donā€™t even know what Iā€™m looking for right now and a target example would help a ton.

I thought groovy was being removed so webcore needs to be redesigned?

Also i donā€™t have super complex requirements. So if it could be available in the ST engine that would be useful!l and faster.

Again is it jot being removed as itā€™s groovy. Will they be replacing it?

Whether or not SmartThings plans on retiring their own SmartLighting SmartApp would be a question best answered by a SmartThings employee, like @blake.arnold.

My point is simply that you can still use SmartLighting today from within the New ST App, regardless of the ST Classic App being retired on October 14th. The ST Groovy IDE will be around for a while still, at least into 2021 per previous announcements. Also, it is the only way to get local processing of automations at this time.

Again, the timing for the retirement of the ST Groovy IDE has not been announced yet, other than some time in 2021. At that time, webCoRE as we know it today, will no longer function. Hopefully, before that time, a webCoRE upgarde/replacement will be created that works with the new ST API. Back in 2019 SmartThings announced the idea of a local API/Rules engine, that a tool like webCoRE might be able to configure. However, there has not been much more announced on this particular subject.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t the new automations and routines local too?

Not local for automations. There are no routines in the new app, they were in the Classic app only.

1 Like

SmartLighting isnā€™t going away. Itā€™s one of the most used and critical SmartApps on our platform. When we make a transition away from Groovy there will be a suitable replacement, whether thatā€™s a lift and shift to an endpoint app or incorporation of the same functionality into another part of the platform.

WebCore has a much smaller install base but is also a really critical app to our power users. Itā€™s a little more complicated to replace, but we know that advanced logic functionality is really critical for our users and that building complex, nested logic arguments in the rule builder wouldnā€™t be a great experience.

We already have plans in the works for how to provide a non-groovy parity functionality backed by the Rules API (which we talked about extensively at SDC 2019) but would love to hear the communityā€™s ideas since thatā€™s where CORE and WebCore came from in the first place. Weā€™ve got some really bright folks at ST, but some of our best ideas and use cases have come from the community.

8 Likes

Just let us run all our legacy groovy code locally.

8 Likes

The only local processing available via the New ST App is via the SmartLighting SmartApp. With the old Classic ST App, some portions of SHM were eligible to run locally as well, but that was it. I donā€™t believe any portions of new ST Appā€™s STHM are eligible for local processing, AFAIK.

So, for now, if you want local processing, then SmartLighting is the App of choice. And, per @blake.arnoldā€™s post above, SmartLighting is not going away. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You get that by switching to Hubitat. And it uses nearly the same SmartApps and DTHs.

3 Likes

He did not say that. Specifically, he said there will be a ā€œsuitable replacementā€, which is not the same thing. The base functionality will surely live on, and if there isnā€™t a direct replacement, there will be a similar migration approach to convert SmartLighting rules into some new form of rules or automations. Iā€™m sure it will support most of what SmartLighting can currently do.

For instance, they consider the current new app a suitable replacement for the Classic app.

5 Likes

I might, depends how hard Samsung screws us