Get ready to make the switch!

WebCoRE can not control STHM in the new app directly as it could with SHM in the Classic app.

in your first piston, you will need to change the following:
Send PUSH notification “:white_check_mark: Back Door :door: is LOCKED :closed_lock_with_key:”;

to the following:
Send PUSH notification “:white_check_mark: Back Door :door: is LOCKED :closed_lock_with_key:”; and store in messages

otherwise you will not get notifications from the new app

4 Likes

@jkp Thanks! I just assumed the push notification part would work even if I had to set it up a little differently, but it’s nice to know exactly how to do it.

@nathancu Good to know Webcore will still work once I migrate over. I did manually try to recreate a couple of the automations in the new app before migrating and that’s why my questions came up. The options for Time in the If/Then section don’t provide an option for 5 mins, 10 mins, etc. It just gives options for a specific time or time period, not time elapsed (hopefully I explained that right).

1, I have no desire to criticise any platform or services.

2, I didn’t call the new app “garbage”(Although I have thought it numerous times).

3, I was being extremely constructive in highlighting the fact that it is actually 2020, which provides the opportunity to contemplate the history of apps and what is available today, i.e. Alexa, Google etc and their comparison to the “new” (2 year old) app.
4, which leads one to wonder how Samsung have an app that just works, Classic, yet be pushing this “new” app with scores and scores of deficiencies, qwerks, frustrations, incompleteness, incompetence, slowness, unreliable, crashing, immature, hundreds and hundreds of negative comments, in need of thorough testing, instead?

1 Like

I am actually a bit puzzled how long it’s taking to complete the new app, as stated by themselves they are still working on it. Seems like the team is too small or they’re being asked to do too much at the same time.

A classic case of “Why fix what ain’t broke”… The Classic app just works, why not just update it, like everyone else does?

3 Likes

The classic app worked for those with a smartthings hub, but the app project, also called “one app,” introduced in 2018 was intended to bring together many different Samsung product lines which up until then each had their own app. That included not just smartthings, but Samsung smart appliances, Samsung smart televisions, a Samsung automotive app, and a few other things. So it was a very large project with quite a large team.

The non-hub-using customers are probably at least 90% of the user base at this point, simply because Samsung sells millions of those other items versus less than 1 million of the hubs.

The classic app didn’t work at all for Samsung smart televisions, and didn’t work very well for Samsung smart appliances. So they’ve had their reasons for going to the new app.

5 Likes

Which is a another way of saying: Lets bundle all this unrelated functionality into one app, because one huge app with lots of unrelated, complex code is much better!

4 Likes

I understand the argument about complexity, but I think they were responding to customer demand who wanted a single rules engine to tie everything together. Particularly the smart appliances and televisions along with some smart lighting, which seems to have been the most popular request. But I’m just guessing, I don’t have any inside information. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I don’t think its unrelated at all. They’re all IoT products that should work together, and now they (mostly) do.

9 Likes

Hell no we won’t go! Hell no we won’t go!

What do we want? Classic! When do we want it? Always!

What do we want? Classic! When do we want it? Always!

Thought I would do a little protesting. :weary:

6 Likes

Prior to merge in to one app, SmartThings app worked better with no issues and better device integration, my SmartTV app could fully control my Samsung TV (turn on & off, even stream video from tv to phone, etc.). Now with enhanced new (cr)app, half of the devices have only basic integration, no custom attributes, I can’t even turn my TVs on, devices are mostly on and off during any day.
Now I am being questioned by all family members why is this not working now, when yesterday worked, or worked half hour ago, etc.
It’s getting hard to defend the current environment

4 Likes

Just a small tidbit of information… Earlier today I deleted the TrendSetter SmartApp and associated devices since I no longer use them. Shortly thereafter I received the migration banner.

So in case anyone uses TrendSetter and is just itching to get the migration banner, that might be one of the things holding it up.

Of course, this could also be a coincidence but nothing else changed in my environment today that would be related.

1 Like

I received the banner today and I am not using Trendsetter…also did not make any other changes prior to receiving the banner…just was my time I guess.

I feel your pain

2 Likes

I just started seeing the banner “The new SmartThings app is ready for you - Migrate this location now>”
in the Classic app.
I actually use both the Classic and the new app (mostly the new app).
I use the Smart Lighting SmartApp for most of my automation and set up my Scenes using the new app.

Do I really NEED to “migrate”?

What does the migration process do that I am not already doing?

Would migration screw up anything?

Seems like I am virtually migrated now so I guess I could just stop using or uninstall the Classic app.

It will migrate any routines in the Classic over to automations and scenes in the new app and remove the routine section. It will also migrate SHM in the Classic over to STHM in tHe new app and any SHM custom rules over to automations/scenes. It will also set up smart locks guest access if you have smart locks installed in the Classic app.

I just got the migrate now banner in my app, however I have over 100 direct and virtual devices in the legacy app, including a good bit of groovy based community code including MyQ, Alarmserver/DSC Alarm, Roku, Laundry Monitors, and Lock Manager along with several custom device handlers for various functions.

I’m not migrating until they implement a way for custom apps to get properly ported.

3 Likes

I have a lot of “virtual switches” and “Simulated Alexa Switchs” that I depend on.
Will I still be able to use the GroovyIDE to set up those type of devices if I migrate?
Smartthings won’t satisfy my needs AT ALL without that capability.

I also use a couple of custom device handlers (for Dome motion sensor, Levition Z-wave Plus dimmer)
I also use the “Notify me When” smartapp.

Groovy will eventually be retired sometime in 2021.

Best way to see what currently works is to install the new app, login in and see what works. You can use both apps.

1 Like

ST is currently working on the new APIs.

As for those apps, it is up to the developer of those to port them and I imagine a couple will not be. MyQ will likely be ported as the developer has been active with the new APIs. Lock Manager has not been updated in about 1.5 years and I have not seen the developer online in over half a year. Hopefully, he will reappear at some point. But you may want to consider alternatives such as the very comprehensive @RBoy lock manager or the basic ST smart lock guest access.

1 Like