You are correct about people wanting everything for “free” in exchange for their personal information that is then sold for millions. Unlike “free” services I’m not collecting/storing/selling data. I’m putting together a bare bones DIY service that has most of the features of the high end systems but at a fraction of the cost.
As for scalable and reliable it’s the same system that powers over 1 million location devices around the world today.
Uses range from basic presence of home/away through the use of a Geofence like people use Life360 for or other basic services. However as a full Telematics you can setup unlimited “Zones” or geofences and get notification based on enter/exit/time inside/time outside and how you receive notifications is up to the user whether it be e-mail, sms, Webhook (which can integrate to ST) or by almost anything else through the SDK or API integrations.
That’s just the basic example. Here’s a few things I use the system for with phones and vehicles for my whole family.
- Phone battery status -> notify if drops below a level, send message to charge phone (kids)
- Vehicle battery -> notify if vehicle battery drops -> maintenance issue and so I don’t wake up to a dead battery without a “heads-up” (old van that I know has issues)
- Multiple Zones setup for common locations, places, school, work, etc notify when people arrive/leave done through TTS notifications for some events of importance and simple device status on/off for most common things.
- Garage door opening. What good is a geofence if your garage door can’t be automated? Life360 updates are too unpredictable to be useful for actual rules/events.
- Same as item 4 except for security systems. I wouldn’t trust Life360 to arm/disarm an alarm system as it’s unpredictable about when it’s going to update.
- Traffic ticket validations. I get a ticket in the mail but who had the car that night? I can find that out. Did this just last week.
- Vehicle Trouble Codes. Get notifications about trouble codes and run an event against them.
- Sensors that can be connected to get cabin information.
- Cabin audio if desired
- Dashcam support for inside or outside or both. Can be used to follow tracks within the system and replay the video so you can see the exact map location and video correlation.
- Vehicle Control. Some devices support inputs and can communicate with the onboard ECU. These devices are expensive. However this is adding things like remote lock/unlock/start/stop/engine-kill
I suppose if you have no experience with Vehicle Telematics a lot of this would be “new” and strange and questions around why I would want this. Same questions around Smart Home’s to those that aren’t doing it. Vehicle Telematics brings Smart’s to vehicles and has been doing it for years before the trendy IoT naming. This is the type of stuff that’s normally only found in large fleet tracking or emergency response vehicles or service companies performing dispatch for (delivery jobs, taxi, buses)
Well after reading through I’m not sure how much could be integrated/used with ST it would take someone else that knows ST development far better than I do to answer that. So this may be a limited option for ST. Which would also explain why the limited interest from ST and Hubitat users. Afterall Life360 is free with limited place support and provides the basic presence function.