Garage door and opener advice

Yes - MyQ is integrated with SmartThings via the MyQ Lite SmartApp

• I don’t ever use the MyQ Native app - ever. It has no purpose once integrated with SmartThings.

Yes - I have Routines and Pistons setup that automatically control the opening / closing of the door. I do not recommend automating closing of the door when you are not able to visually see (safety), but that’s another conversation. When I get within 2 blocks of my home, mobile presence is detected by SmartThings that I have arrived and automation disarms my system, unlocks the garage inside door and the garage door opens, and I receive a welcome message on speakers in the house and if it’s after dark, lights come on.

No - You do not need to pay the subscription service. However in addition to the MyQ unit and the sensor that it comes with, you are going to want to purchase a separate sensor (St Multipurpose, Ecolink Tilt Sensor, etc) which you can read through in the main thread for MyQ Lite and post more questions there.

Because ST doesn’t have access to the API at Chamberlain anymore (hence the subscription fee now), the additional sensor allows MYQ Lite to keep track of the status of the MyQ device (Actual Garage Door created as a device in ST), ultimately helping it to keep the Status of Opened / Closed in check and in sync because MyQ can’t poll against Chamberlain.

There are two SmartApps in GitHub for this. The Sensor version and the No Sensor version. Get the additional sensor and then install the Sensor version.

Here is the official thread for MyQ Lite. Read through the very first post and what I have said above will make more sense:

1 Like