Frustrated End User/Consumer

@Jeremy how many sensors do you have at home? Wondering how scalable Smartthings currently is before investing more time… or at least getting a 2nd hub if necessary. Also, planning to write my own android app, since the existing one is really basic.

The support rep replied promptly, the zigbee may require a relay node in a larger house, or around deadzones. I happen to have the smartthings arduino shield which supposedly would act as a zigbee repeater. They’re cheap enough to put around the perimeter or something.

@Rey M yes, silly me! I had a Schlage not an Aeon, but totally forgot what brand it is.

If anyone is interested in my package, Make me an offer.

Hub
2 presence - One never used
2 multi’s - Never used
1 ST power outlet
1 motion detector

@jamesyong

how many sensors do you have at home? Wondering how scalable Smartthings currently is before investing more time… or at least getting a 2nd hub if necessary.

For what it’s worth, I currently have: 16 switches, 9 outlets, 2 presence sensors, 5 SmartThings multisensors, 1 Thermostat, 1 door lock, and 2 motion sensors. SmartThings does tend to have a small lag for some operations, but I have not noticed this increase at all as I’ve added more devices. The lag seems intermittent. Sometimes my apps fire right away, some times it takes a second or so… sometimes longer, but that’s rare.

Also, planning to write my own android app, since the existing one is *really* basic.

What do you find “really basic” about it? I know the Mobile App it self doesn’t have anything super special about it, but the power of SmartThings is in SmartApps, not the mobile app.

@chrisb
Nice, thats a good number of things. Now the only thing I hope is my comcast never goes offline :stuck_out_tongue:
The smartapps are fine, but I was also looking for things like being able to get more historical sensor events/values, rearrange the icons on screen, etc.

@jamesyong,

Nice, thats a good number of things. Now the only thing I hope is my comcast never goes offline :p

Just added two outlets last night too, so that’s up to 11. And yeah, it’s true that it would be nice to have some offline capabilities. However, I do think there is things are changing in terms of high speed internet. I cut my teeth in computers in the 80s. I remember dial-up modems. My first one was 2400 baud I believe. I remember when internet access was a luxury… Not high speed internet, but just internet. These days high speed is virtually a utility. I think we’re rapidly approaching a time when high speed internet will be as reliable, if not more reliable, than home electric.

Honestly, I can only remember one time in the past two years that my internet has been down… and that was to a defective modem. I think I’ve lost power twice in the last two years.

The smartapps are fine, but I was also looking for things like being able to get more historical sensor events/values,

I know at least one person who designed a setup to record motion activity into a spreadsheet. I believe they used IFTTT to grab the activity and drop it into a file in a dropbox account. I might be wrong on some of the details there, but I know you can get this data. I know the Mobile App doesn’t contain a lot of history, but it is there in the IDE.

rearrange the icons on screen, etc.

You might have an old version of the Mobile App because you can re-arrange the tiles. I think that’s been out since maybe September?? With the newest release you can even pick which tile is displayed for sensor that provide more than one type of data. For instance I have my AEON motion sensor displaying temp on the main screen. The newest version is 1.2.7 Build 641.

I can’t update my posts above

All my Smartthings have been sold

@chrisb do you know where one can check the current version and get latest he firmware for the FE599NX lock that you mentioned?

Sorry, @RBoy,

I have no idea how to check or get the newest firmware. I guess I’d rather support@smartthings.com or maybe the manufacturer?

As always we’d be happy to help. Some devices report firmware version in the IDE at http://ide.smartthings.com. Other than that it may be a question for the manufacturer, but either way email us at support@smartthings.com and reference this post.