'Fibaro Z-Wave FGK-101 Temperature & Door/Window Sensor' Full Support Handler

That’s interesting but not helping : when I try to “Create a New (custom) Device Handler”, using the “From Template” option, the only one appearing in the list of “standard” handlers is the “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor”, a v1.0 which dates back to 2014-12-10 and does not incorporate any Z-Wave+ enhancement.
The 2 others you mentioned, “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5” and “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” do not appear at all, unless my list is filtered down because of my v1 Hub (unlikely, but…).

Could you check if you can get the source code for those last 2 from your own IDE, it would be a start since at least open/close works ?
I assume ZW5 is a shortcut for “Z-Wave+ 500 series chip”, so those 2 handlers may be a “beta” version.

The source codes for those handlers are available on the SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic GitHub repository:

Path:
SmartThingsPublic/devicetypes/fibargroup/

Files:
“Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5” is “fibaro-door-window-sensor-zw5.src”
“Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” is “fibaro-door-window-sensor-zw5-with-temperature.src”

2 Likes

@dzhimc : thanks a lot, that helps :slight_smile: .
I will study these 2 “ZW5” versions and try to understand the incompatibilities of the Z-Wave+ version of the Fibaro FGK-10x.

1 Like

I have the same firmware version and hub version that ProHill has and the “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” handler does provide temperature for me. Though, it does not update very often (this may be normal?).

That said, I must have gone through the reset process 15 times with the Fibaro before it finally started working. If you just got the temperature sensor hooked up, you need to follow the Fibaro instructions for resetting the sensor before it will register temperature. Keep excluding the sensor, following the reset steps and adding it back to your system. You also can use the triple tap to initiate a temperature read I believe. Eventually the handler above should show temp.

Regards,

Matt

@ProHill : I am still working on the FGK-101 Z-Wave+ (aka FGK-101 ZW5) adaptation, but it is much more complicated than I initially expected : the encryption scheme is different, but there is also many different Commands (8 new ones with the ZW5 version), different Devices Parameters (23 instead of 9) and worse, not all ZW5 Commands and Parameters are upward compatible, so making a common driver gets even more complicated.
Having the code for the “standard” FGK-101 ZW5 Handler sure helps, but there is still a lot to adapt & test.

The bottom line is that I will have to purchase a new FGK-101 ZW5 Device if I want to be able to make those adaptations in any kind of reasonable time. Then you can check it works properly with your v2 Hub once it works on my own v1 Hub.
I will post a new version of my FGK-101 Handler as soon as I get a stable ZW5-compatible version, likely in 2-3 weeks.
Sorry about the delay.

1 Like

Hey there. Hope things are going well for you. Is there any way I can donate some funds to help cover the cost of that sensor? Do you have a paypal set up or anything like that? I would feel better for all the work you’re doing if we could cover some of the costs.

Woo

@Woo : Hi Fred, that’s very kind of you, but not needed. Let’s say that I am anticipating what I would have done anyway if I need in the future to add some more FGK-101, which would then be the new ZW5 versions.
BTW, I could not find the US version (908,4MHz) in Europe, so I had to order it from the States, which will obviously add some shipping delay…
FYI, the “fibaro-door-window-sensor-zw5-with-temperature” driver was not developed by SmartThings but directly by Fibaro in Poland 10 months ago, and t is very crude : only reports when at least +/-1°C of temperature variation, wakes up only every 6 hours, etc…
So it could be that even when it is properly installed with a new FGK-101 ZW5, the apparent lack of temperature reporting is somewhat “normal”.
Note that my own custom driver wakes up every hour and reports any temperature variation above +/-0.3°C (+/-0.5°F).

At that point, I aim for a Z-Wave and Z-Wave+, v1 Hub and v2 Hub, compatible driver version,which is why I need to have both versions connected to my v1 Hub for initial tests.
I could post now a “ZW5” advanced version, but considering the too many differences, I am afraid it could take 10-20 transatlantic iterations to converge, so waiting for my own FGK-101 ZW5 will likely be faster and less frustrating for all participants.
Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

@geeji

So, I just purchased a Fibaro FGK-101, I had no issues pairing it with my v2 hub and getting the wired temp probe to work. I did not have to add any custom code etc. Which was a surprise to me after reading over this post :slight_smile:

I purchased mine from Amazon, on the bottom of the box is:
FGK-101
USA V3.2

It also has the “Zwave Plus” logo on the package.

I had paired it initially without the temp probe and it showed up as “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5” I had unpaired it from ST, removed the battery, attached the temp probe wires, reinstalled the battery and paired to ST again. It then shows up as “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature”

I hope this bit of info helps.

The standard, Fibaro-coded, “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” Handler does work, but you must be aware of its limitations :

• temperature changes are reported only when greater than +/-1°C;
  • there is no periodic reporting : if you have less than +/-1°C variations for 3 months, you will not see any temperature event for 3 months;
  • the Device wakes up only every 6 hours;
  • there is no tampering alarm reported;
  • events notifications are different, so any SmartApp based on the previous ones will also have to be modified to work with ZW5 versions of the FGK-101.

For all those reasons, this Fibaro-coded Handler is not convenient for me, and I definitely intend to update my custom handler.
Unfortunately, now that I have received a Z-Wave+ (aka ZW5) version of the FGK-101, I have discovered that although its functions and external appearance are the same, the set of supported Z-Wave Commands and FGK-101 Parameters are completely different : so “adapting” my custom Handler actually means recoding it completely :confused:.
I have already spent a couple of days on that recoding, but that is far from done, especially since the IDE environment is as buggy as usual (log.debug is totally unreliable, most log entries fail to appear in the trace).

The bottom line is that at this point I cannot predict when (or even if) I will find enough time to complete this painful recoding, so I apologize to those who used my custom Handler with the previous Z-Wave version of the FGK-101 and would have liked to also include new Z-Wave+ (aka ZW5) versions of the FGK-101.
Those new devices can only be supported if the limitations of the Fibaro-coded “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” Handler listed at the beginning of this post do not bother you.

To tell the truth, I am very disappointed by the total lack of upward compatibility at the Z-Wave interface level for this Fibaro Device : since Z-Wave was supposed to be an “open” (more or less) standard, and SmartThings an “open” (more or less) platform, it would have been nice to have some kind of upward compatibility, especially considering the pain it is to develop and stabilize a SmartThings custom Handler. But knowing only too well how developers think, it was definitely an unreasonnable expectation on my side… :frowning: .
I just hope Fibaro is somewhat a “worst case” and that other people who also developed custom Handlers for Devices of different brands have less difficulty when moving to Z-Wave+ versions.

1 Like

FOR THE ADVENTUROUS / CURIOUS ONLY : I posted here on github a working version of my ZW5-compatible custom handler.
There are so many bugs that I would not even qualify it as a “beta” version. And do NOT use it if you have a non-ZW5 version of the FGK-101, use v0.9.5.1 instead.

What seems to work most of the time :

• temperature reports with 0.3°C granularity [that’s currently the main benefit vs the Fibaro-coded, “Fibaro Door/Window Sensor ZW5 with Temperature” handler]
  • battery report every 24h
  • open/close events (but see below)

Major identified bugs :

• temperature report at least every 4 hours does not work
  • tamper alarm does not work
  • open/close events “stutter” (at least 3 times)

Minor bugs are too numerous to list yet…

I tested it on my v1 Hub, with a °C setting; I have not yet tested the backward compatibility with non-ZW5 older versions of the FGK-101.
If somebody has time to waste or is curious, I would appreciate to know if a ZW5 FGK-101 (Z-Wave Plus logo on the FGK-101 cardboard box) works, as badly but not worse, on a v2 Hub with a °F setting.
Note that AFTER you install this "JJ’s ZW5 "custom Handler using the IDE, you will have to wake up the FGK-101 ZW5 ++TWICE++ pressing the tamper switch at the bottom (wait 20s between the 2 presses). This is a side-effect of my attempt to have a single Handler compatible with both ZW5 and older non-ZW5 versions of the FGK-101.

In addition to the too many differences between the original FGK-101 and the new FGK-101 ZW5, the debugging difficulties come from the lack of documentation and the buggy IDE log trace : when you set multiple “log.debug” entries within the same code block, many of those trace entries disappear from the trace log (likely overwritten by the last entry :angry:).
Also, there are too many things I do not understand about multithreaded execution of Groovy/SmartThings, and associated race conditions, especially when using “state.xxx” persistent variables.
So debugging such a Handler in such an environment is much more “guess and try… then retry… then re-retry… then…”, than “code and debug” as it should be; thus the lengthy and painful process…

1 Like

Does this handler also work for the FGK-10x?

I tried this handler and it remains stuck at OPEN.

It works with any FGK-10x (the “x” just differentiate colors). But if you have the latest ZW5 version of FGK-10x, the present version of the handler if not fully functional. I hope to have enough free time within next month to update it, sorry for the delay.
The interface langage is selected from the mobile app options (iOS or Android).

2 Likes

why is my OPEN/CLOSE tile in french?

Sorry, I do not understand exactly what is your problem.
AFAIK, this driver is natively English, at least if you select English in your iOS/Android dashboard options.
Please provide a screen copy.

It looks like you did not download the latest v0.9.5.1 version of “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-101 Handler” on github.
Anyway, this handler version is for the ++NON++ Z-Wave+ version of the FGK-101, and you have the latest Z-Wave+ version (aka “ZW5”), WHICH DOES NOT WORK with this handler, as explained in the latest posts of this thread.
As mentioned before, I expect to have enough time in the coming month to rewrite the handler so that it becomes compatible also with the Z-Wave+ / ZW5 version of the FGK-101.
Sorry for the delay.

Well, it took quite some time, but here is a beta version 0.9.6 of the FGK-101 Custom Handler, now compatible with the Z-wave+ (aka ZW5) version of the Fibaro FGK-101 Door/Window & Temperature Sensor.

I apologize for the delay, but I had to completely rewrite the handler and buy a new ZW5 version of the FGK-101 for tests purpose.
There are so many differences between the older FGK-101 and the new ZW5 version that any notion of “upward compatibility” is a (bad) joke, at least from a handler’s point of view.
However I found a way to have a single source version for the Handler (with hardware dependent code segments) which SHOULD be ultimately compatible with both hardware versions, but at this time I have not made enough non-regression tests, so I would recommend people with the older FGK-101 versions to stick for the time being with the older 0.9.5.1 version of the Handler.

AFAIK, most functions work well, including open / close / tamper alarm / temperature report / battery report.
If anybody finds any bugs, please let me know.
Beware that my SmartThings Hub is the older version, so if there are any incompatibilities due to that, I will not be able to reproduce them easily.

Hope this helps… the patient ones :wink:

1 Like

im excited to try it… . but you may want to change your filename. its still labeled as
JJG2014 : JJ’s ZW5 Handler

it may be confusing for some like me until I opened the RAW code…

testing now… thanks again.

@macombweare : you are right, I will correct the name with the next update.
Actually, I will have to change it twice, removing the “ZW5” qualifier once I have checked the same Handler works also on the previous, non-ZW5, hardware versions of the FGK-101.
Let me know if I can help you some more.

1 Like

Just wondering if the status tile(?) is really designed to show two --'s instead of OPEN or CLOSE.