Fan controller: Need help choosing what to get

Sorry, I really was confusing wasn’t I? :confused: Because if you don’t have a neutral wire at the wall location the smart fan control switch won’t work at the wall and will need to be mounted up at the ceiling fan canopy or gangbox, only the light dimmer switch can be located at the wall without a neutral (but you will be limited to only controlling incandescent lights). But the option I would suggest if you plan on using CFL, LED fan lights you could install a micro controller in the canopy along with the fan control and rewire the existing wall switch to give local on-off of the fan lights and still have full control of the dim level and on-off via ST. It really is important to know what you have so you will know your options, so for my clarity at the wall switch gangbox you ONLY have two wires coming in the gangbox (no others just passing through and wire nutted, no red wires), a black and a white that are connected to the switch that turns on/off the ceiling fan lights and does nothing to your fan speeds, yes?

In my situation, when I added my ceiling fan in the room I got lazy and didn’t run a wall switch but only grabbed the closest power source. I was only using the pull chains to control fan/lights. Since I installed the smart devices in the canopy I am now able to control the fan/lights separately with an Aeon Minimote, or my Amazon Echo. I just added a new HomeSeer HS-WD100+ in that same room for my wall light switch so now with that one new wall light switch I can turn on lamps and ceiling fan lights together as well as manually toggle my ceiling fan speeds. I finally got wireless control from my one wall location after all my years of being too lazy to run the wire for the ceiling fan. :grinning:

Yes, the smartapp would control it but definitely do NOT use a standard dimmer control to control the fan speed. @JDRoberts has an excellent post on why not to use light dimmer on fan control.

I agree with you… I am in the same “wait & see” as well. I have several more ceiling fans to go.

My dream solution would be to have Lutron develop a Z-Wave connected device using their existing Maestro design here.
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MA-LFQHW-WH-Maestro-Control-Dimmer/dp/B000MOIDA8
I use this “dumb” switch today and it is perfect except for not being able to be connected to ST. It has seven speed settings instead of just 3 and the LED indicators are so helpful. It only needs power (that means a neutral ) at the wall switch. The actual fan and light control is done by a receiving module you mount in the canopy that talks wirelessly to the wall switch. It works awesome… just no zwave. I was hoping the Hampton Bay accessory would come close to this. I was by my Home Depot and there is nothing yet and the guys there didn’t know anything about it.