Err 101 - ZW module not responding

lovely… so there is no way to get a zwave repair till this is fixed…

and if they tell me I have to reset the hub and remove and re-add all my 98 devcies… well lets just say they better beef up security at their headquarters ;(

No, your z-wave repair should go ahead and complete. Use the logging page that is offered in the IDE when you start a z-wave repair from the IDE. However, once that page is up, clear its filter to be blank. Then you’ll see all hub events, which should mostly be the z-wave repair messages (including no. 33 not responding) and pings if it runs that long. You will see the z-wave repair finished message.

There Err 101 message evidently happened when the hub was so corrupted that it could not finish a z-wave repair at all. That’s hosed. You may not be hosed, and a ghost z-wave device by itself is harmless.

To really see what’s happening from start to finish, bookmark that logging page. Then open it before you start a z-wave repair, and clear the filter. Then using a different tab in your browser, start the z-wave repair. You’ll be able to see all of the events on the log page.

1 Like

yep thanks went back through the logs and looked at only hub devices and set to 200 per page… I do see the zwave repair finished… thanks… not sure why my garage door was acting up but I believe it was not relaying any longer…
I had changed the stock device to add switch capability so I could use it with alexa, but on first repair attempt it said that was not responding… so I changed it back to stock and unplugged and plugged it in… any idea what was going on… I would really like to change the device type again so alexa can open and close it… I will compare the stock with my modified device type to see if anything has changed.

1 Like

The device type has nothing at all to do with z-wave repair. It may be that a particular device type doesn’t handle the z-wave commands properly, so you could certainly have that sort of issue. But, the z-wave repair itself is a hub function, just touching the devices themselves, not anything in the cloud but for log messages.

You can say that again, louder!!! I am having routine failures left and right…with my bare minimum set up! I couldn’t get out of a routine that got stuck in the past until I deleted it and recreated…sigh

This is interesting and could be the issue I’m having. I have a device that I excluded, is not listed in my IDE or app, but is still working and sending information to other apis (which I can see in live logging). I emailed support, but haven’t heard anything.

This odd where mine started… The Zwave repair was failing devices that didn’t exist and it would never finish running.

That’s very strange that it’s sending events!

Follow the instructions above for logging a z-wave network repair, and see if it shows up.

strange because it stated the garage door was not responding… when I switched back to the stock device driver it passed the zwave repair but failed twice in a row previously
ie

archivable true
date 2016-01-04 8:12:01.761 AM EST (2016-01-04T13:12:01.761Z)
description Network repair for Larry Garage Door [11]: Failed to update mesh info
displayed false
eventSource HUB
hubId 88fd3441-ed10-4ec8-b0e3-447d7057ed7d
id be2d9967-b2e4-11e5-9386-22000b8eca9f
isStateChange false
isVirtualHub false
linkText Nh Hub
locationId f22d1766xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-0eddf9ee9608
name zwNwkRepair
rawDescription Network repair for Larry Garage Door [11]: Failed to update mesh info
translatable false
unixTime 1451913121761
value failure
viewed false

I did compare the stock garage driver with my version and there is nothing that changed that would affect this. I believe there is a problem in the back end … even though the zwave repair runs locally because the device type was changed maybe it is running in the cloud and timing out???

Here are attachments showing my changes:

Yes, but you also unplugged and reset the hardware. So which is the cause? Not the cloud.

It is definitely sending events. IDE zwave repair has not generated any logs. try try again.

It helps to have the logging page open before you start a repair…

yeah I saw your note about that and did that.

I want to thank everyone here for your advice and help in my little problem. It is all greatly appreciated.

My system is back up and running. I have most of my devices back online. I some minor things like the guest room and stuff still left to do.

I have to say this. It’s actually been a good thing for my system. I have cleaned it all up and installed everything in their final locations.

I know much more now about how this entire concept operates, which made it clear that this was built as I learned. It was a total mess.

Also, at the beginning there was no rule machine, and well, now there is. Thank you @bravenelbravenel. I have a good working knowledge of how things operates and how the software can be manipulated. I’m also much better at configuring the logic in the system than I was, making for a cleaner more streamlined system.

The big winning thing is that my wife is much more interested in the system (which is a huge jump forward). She was active in the reinstall process and is active in the smart apps programming.

Overall, I’m a lot happier with an investment that started as a novelty, has never been a requirement, and was a fairly significant financial investment.

We all know the glitches from ST, but with what I’ve learned here I will not have major problems with my HA.

Again,
Thank you all for your help and patience.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, so if that’s what it takes to get my wife involved, maybe I should work harder to get the 101 error, so I can start over. Or maybe Ill wait and do it when the TVs are out. What better opportunity than retiring v2. I need the fourth paper weight anyway (after wink, lutron, v1).

1 Like

I guess it’s my lucky turn at this. I am now getting ERR 101. This was right after a zwave repair in an attempt to fix laggy zwave respond or no respond at all. My aeotec gen5 motion sensor stopped responding 5 days ago :(. It’s responding now after the zwave repair and battery pull on the sensor.

I too have it now. No response from any devices, so I dug into the IDE only to find that I can’t zwave repair, and I’m throwing a bunch of device type 04 errors. Happened on the first reboot after the new firmware update… May or may not be related. Dunno. All I know is that I was out of town and got the dreaded call from the wife, Nothing works, can’t use the app, nor are the routines running.

Honestly… That sucks… Sorry bro, looks like you’re doing a system wide rebuild.

Ok so I went through and deleted everything I needed to delete and finally was able to delete the location. Then I hit the reset on the hub and unplugged it with batteries out. Waited 15 minutes and plugged it back in. I’m already getting the error 101 again even though it says I have no devices. I also keep getting zwave power cycle started, zwave starting up and then zwave ready, then a short while later I get the same messages repeating…

What worries me the most though is the error 101 still…

That’s not good at all.

You’re gonna have to talk to support on that one.