Eight Sleep Smart Mattress Cover (formerly called Luna Sleep)

Anyone having battery problems on iOS? Installed the Eight app last night and it has used 40% of my battery in the last 24 hours.

Has anyone else had trouble with it deciding what time you got out of bed?

For me it says I both Wake Up and Get out of bed, a full hour or more before I do. I groggily pick up my phone while still lying in bed and look, and it tells me I got up an hour or two ago. And yet breakfast still isn’t made? What am I doing with my make believe time?!? :wink:

I’ve put in an email to Eight and they say they are forwarding it to their engineers. But I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem.

When you wrote, “some ST integrations … and turning on lights when I get out of bed.” do you mean you were able to get Eight to let you know when someone is in bed without pressing the Night/Day mode button in its app?

It is not that simple yet. I still enter the mode in eight to trigger ST routines which contain my lighting integrations. I have made suggestions to have them add that ability. But I really like connecting it to my Amazon echo to use voice to start bed warming.

1 Like

Received mine about 10 days ago. Just got the ifttt channel activated. Amazon echo integration doesnt seems to be working for me. Has anyone got this to work with echo?

my eight sleep just arrived today, and i got stung for an extra £44 in taxes…ouch.

but i’ve got to say i am extremely deflated. i was hoping it would track when someone was in bed and also when that person fell asleep.

my thinking was when someone gets into bed the lights dim, and once both occupants of the bed are asleep the lights would turn off. but they have got the whole automation thing completely wrong. a button in the App!!! oh come on how 2014!

i have just spend effectively £290 on a Wifi controlled electric blanket. i could have achieved the same for about £90…i have asked for an API but its fallen on deaf ears. i know its based on particle.io and i did write a device handler for Garadget that was also based on the same so i am going to try and get this sucker working how we all need it to

1 Like

I find that the mattress gets confused on who gets out of bed. For example, if my wife gets out of bed 20 minutes before me, the mattress thinks she gets out of bed when I do. And we always get out our separate sides of bed.

Just got mine. For sleep, I’ve had the Withings Aura, Sense Sleep Pill, the Withings Go, and now the Eight Sleep Cover.

Between the four, the Withings Go seems the most accurate, but I really dislike wearing watches, etc. while in sleeping so that was a no go. Unfortunately, it didn’t track room conditions or anything other than movement. The Withings Aura was the “sexiest” but felt the least accurate (I’ve heard they’ve really improved however). The Sense Pill is very unintrusive and works nicely. Love that it has a built-in speaker and lights for white noise and alarm. However I accidentally washed the pill once (attaches to the pillowcase) and had to buy another. A $40 ouch.

I’ve had the Eight Sleep less than a week (king size), but I really like that it’s essentially embedded. It’s in its infancy so I’ll look ahead with glee as they improve integration and accuracy, but the concerns listed above definitely need to be addressed (and developers seem responsive). I kind of wish the base station did more (speakers, nightlight, motion, etc.) and wish I could pair it directly to SmartThings or Hue (or both) now, but we’ll see. My wife loves the warming feature as she’s a cold sleeper. Despite setbacks, so far so good.

I have an extra king cover (unopened box), PM me if anyone interested in buying

Yesterday’s app update is a huge improvement in two main areas: (a) better data analysis, more reliable and (b) better control over heating functions, less buggy.

1 Like

Just a heads up that I have the beginnings of an Eight Sleep and Smartthings integration in progress. I managed to sniff the API requests the Eight Sleep app was sending. Hopefully ready for a beta release by the end of this week. Looking at the API, some of the features I expect to implement are:

• Use Connect smart app to log into Eight account and automatically add devices
  • Separate Left/Right devices for each side of the bed created in SmartThings
  • Turn warming on/off via tile
  • Set warming level via device tiles
  • View “presence” status for each side of the bed
  • Set the duration for a warming command.
  • Show chart with sleeping duration data for last 7 days

Some screenshots below to wet the appetite. Note that these are very early build screenshots.

9 Likes

This is awesome. Any chance it will enable warming based on a set outdoor temp?

Super exciting. Happy to provide feedback on the beta!

This looks great. I can finally have it set the alarm and mode based on when my Wife and I get in bed at a certain time!

Outstanding!

This will be another awesome integration. Have been using IFTTT until now, hasnt worked consistently so far.

OK folks, BETA app is ready and waiting. Please let me know if you experience any issues, if you have feedback and suggestions and post them in the thread linked below.

The presence functionality is not reliable at the moment. It relies on the Eight Sleep API and based on data I’ve seen in the last 24 hours, I wouldn’t use this to base any rules around yet. Interesting to see what behaviour anyone else sees with this.

3 Likes

Has anyone had trouble with the unit itself? I received mine and it worked great. Until I changed the sheets. Then it was dead. No lights, no connectivity. So they replaced my hub. After using the new one for 4 days, I changed my sheets again. Dead.

Has anyone else expereinced any problems? I’m not finding them online anywhere… My room is a comofrtable 38-40% humidity, no carpet to generate static, bamboo sheets aren’t really static prone. I really babied it when I changed the sheets with the new model.

Could be a terrible coincidence but…

Yes, unit went dead on mine as well after working great for a couple of weeks. Waiting on second unit so hopefully it doesn’t fail.

We’ve decided to give it one more try and see if it was a fluke. They have never heard of this happening before (with the sheet changing being the trigger).

But they were very good about the whole thing, and offered me a full refund or one more try and then a full refund. I’m pleased with the customer service anyways. :slight_smile:

1 Like