Door/Window Open Chime

I’ve been thinking about working a project/app that would duplicate the chime that some security systems trigger when a door or window is opened in a house during times when the system is not secured.

The usually operation is triggered by a open close sensor and initiates a speaker of some sort to emit a pleasant (non alerting) beep or tone.

I was looking at using one of the Fortrezz Siren/Strobes but I’m not sure this has any other ability for tone than full on alert mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Siren-Strobe-Alarm-Wireless-Z-wave/dp/B006KH48VY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375907418&sr=8-1&keywords=FortrezZ

Has anyone else tried something similar or had any luck with tones in general? Looking for a connected thing able to be triggered and play different tones based on the situation.

I wonder if you could use the beep from the presence tag some how?

I did this 2 different ways.

1. Plug an x-10 chime module into an Insteon switch. When (in my case, the aeon sensor outside my front door trips, it turns the switch in and the chime chimes. I added another smartapp, I think its called power saver to turn the switch of thereby resetting the chime after 1 minute.
  2. Disconnect the sounder in the strobe/siren module and hook up a low voltage relay to the sounder leads. This lets you control anything, like a doorbell or any device that needs either a contact closure or application of +vcc to power something anything actually.

If you want different chimes based on different events, the most cost effective way would likely be a smart shield and you could wire different types of sounders depending on what data the shield receives.

I just realized you could use a zfm80us relay switch and not have to sacrifice a sounder. It will require wall mounting in an switch box but gives you z-wave controllable relay contacts. I use that to turn on a group of 12V IR illuminators for my outdoor cameras when the aeon sensor luminance drops to a certain point (about half an hour past sunset).