Different email for smart home?

do you use your personal email for your iot devices or did you create a separate account?

That poll is not likely to be scientific in this Community.

The SmartThings Community is heavily weighted towards “techies” and “power users” and actual HA / IT / IoT professions for whom using multiple email addresses for various purposes goes without thought.

SmartThings is a product aimed at “DIY”, sure, but at mass “average consumer” DIY. I pretty certain that the “average consumer” only has 2 or fewer email addresses… one for home and one at work.

I too have a slew of emails. I am not a developer or anything but will “get my hands dirty” when needed.
Just curious from a security stand point if it is recommended to use a seperate email address for the smart home.

Using distinct email addresses (especially when the email address is a user-login ID) always enhances security; though that level of enhancement becomes relatively trivial if your password management is strong.

Stolen password databases usually include email address + crackable passwords. By not using the same email address, you make it more difficult for you to be hacked across-the-board.

1 Like

@tgauchat @tgauchat thanks for the replies … much appreciated !!

While that’s a good idea, I sincerely hope that, despite the **non-**availability of a “Hub migration tool”, that SmartThings Support can at least change the email address associated with an Account.

It is not too much to ask!

A non-trivial number of people phase out of one email account and into another. If that also requires a manual SmartThings migration then… I have no polite words. :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

:scream: :grimacing:

Update: Changing emails takes a lot less time now (hours not weeks).

3 Likes

I use one email and one password for everything!

From a security stand point, if it’s too easy the crooks know there is nothing to hide!

Bwahaha!

@bamarayne

1 Like

I use a different email for the home automation account so it’s easier to track spam, hacking, etc. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Every single device needs an account and an app. I had so many other home improvement jobs to devote time and resources to. I’m not putting all those apps on my email and creating so many new accounts.

Put all that on hold. I’ll get a dedicated tablet or computer for it later, maybe. It is stupid that every device needs an account and login. That’s a smart home? Honestly, I may wait until there is a local vendor. I don’t need that drama.

If I understand what you’re saying, it just depends on how you set it up.

A lot of people will create one email that they use for all of their home automation, it’s just that it’s not the same as the email they use for anything else.

As far as multiple logins, again it depends on the choices that you make. If you choose a hub-based system like one with a smartthings hub and then you only use hub connected devices like zigbee or Z wave, you would only need one login, for smartthings itself. Your individual devices will not need a login because they are operated by the hub. However, if you add other cloud-based services, such as Arlo cameras or a ring doorbell or Google home assistant or a nest thermostat to a smartthings set up, then you would need a login for each of those. There are alternatives for thermostats which can be hub connected. There is even an Aeotec camera. But there aren’t any video doorbells for a smartthings setup that don’t require a separate login.

If you decided not to go with smartthings, there are other home automation systems that would require only one login and do have some integrated cameras and doorbells.

So it just comes down to the details of what you want. There are lots of different choices available today.