Different email for smart home?

project_homesales

(rich) #1

do you use your personal email for your iot devices or did you create a separate account?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

That poll is not likely to be scientific in this Community.

The SmartThings Community is heavily weighted towards “techies” and “power users” and actual HA / IT / IoT professions for whom using multiple email addresses for various purposes goes without thought.

SmartThings is a product aimed at “DIY”, sure, but at mass “average consumer” DIY. I pretty certain that the “average consumer” only has 2 or fewer email addresses… one for home and one at work.

(rich) #3

I too have a slew of emails. I am not a developer or anything but will “get my hands dirty” when needed.
Just curious from a security stand point if it is recommended to use a seperate email address for the smart home.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

Using distinct email addresses (especially when the email address is a user-login ID) always enhances security; though that level of enhancement becomes relatively trivial if your password management is strong.

Stolen password databases usually include email address + crackable passwords. By not using the same email address, you make it more difficult for you to be hacked across-the-board.

(Robin) #5

It’s best to use a different email account for ST so that if you ever sell / rent out the house you can pass the email to the new owner / tennant, avoiding having to reset everything.

(rich) #6

@tgauchat @tgauchat thanks for the replies … much appreciated !!

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

While that’s a good idea, I sincerely hope that, despite the **non-**availability of a “Hub migration tool”, that SmartThings Support can at least change the email address associated with an Account.

It is not too much to ask!

A non-trivial number of people phase out of one email account and into another. If that also requires a manual SmartThings migration then… I have no polite words. :speak_no_evil:

(Robin) #8

They can change it for you (they did for me) but it took several weeks waiting for an engineer to do it.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #9

:scream: :grimacing:

(Aaron S) #10

Update: Changing emails takes a lot less time now (hours not weeks).

(Robin) #11

Excellent… handy to know!!

When ST staff changed mine a few months ago, I was advised it would soon become a native feature of the app.

I know ST don’t like to commit to anything anymore, particularly timeframes, but is this something that’s still under consideration?

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #12

I use one email and one password for everything!

From a security stand point, if it’s too easy the crooks know there is nothing to hide!

Bwahaha!

(rich) #13

@bamarayne

I use a different email for the home automation account so it’s easier to track spam, hacking, etc. :sunglasses: