Devices we don't have

So a garage door opener with this functionality built-in? That would have to rely on some sort of memory of its past actions, no? Seems more complicated and less accurate/safe than placing something like the SmartSense Multi on the door and have it communicate with the garage door opened.

You know, thatā€™s a great point.

The important part to me is that if I were to call my parents on the phone and walk them through the config, it would be part of the primary dashboard as a prime scenario.

BTW: On the SDK/API request level; could we make people/presence a single object? I tend to think of a person, their contact info, push module, and a presence tag as related, and it would be great to be able to say ā€œIf Sue isnā€™t home, and the door opens, send her a push messageā€, instead of treating all three as independent entities.

1 Like

I know the developers at Rogue Amoeba. I pointed them at this comment and they indicated that all ST would have to do is ask and theyā€™d provide them with the protocol spec to make this happen.

1 Like

If you have an inside connection please have them email the spec to to build@smartthings.com !

2 Likes

The MyQ-enabled garage door openers understand (and can report) on whether they are open or closed. Search elsewhere in here for a link to a well-oiled MyQ driver that integrates with ST dashboard quite wellā€¦

This is more of a ā€œdevice that hasnā€™t been madeā€ than ā€œdevices not integratedā€ but; a smoke/CO detector that would integrate with hardwire interconnected systems. Thereā€™s plenty of wireless models, but my house has a total of 6 alarms. At $40-50 a piece it becomes quite expensive to retrofit. I want to replace just one alarm, attach interconnect wire and z[wave|igbee] would communicate status of the whole system.

5 Likes

I have built such a thing using 2 MiMolites and Kidde integration modulesā€¦not quite ready to publish, though.

1 Like

@storageanarchy That is well and fine, but not quite a consumer-centric solution. I, in fact, already had bought the Kidde relay for another project I was planning on doing with my linux server (alarm > relay > ??? > on/off = send sms using ā€œgo phoneā€)

Currently I replace batteries every 6 months, but if I had capacity monitoring of just one alarm, I could make an educated guess that if its battery level is at 40%, all others are at about the same level.

Hmmm although I know we have the Arduino (sp) devices. I think we need a simple device that is battery powered, that has motor controls, and various sensors. Kinda like the multi-sensor that smartthings has but add motor control, Movement, IR etc. A one device can do all sort of thing. I think this is unlikely to be seen. But, I would purchase such a device for general purpose use of course.

Looking for integration with a 4way light switch configuration with support for dimmable LED lights.

Also for inet enabled craftsman garage door.

1 Like

@theedpope
The electricimp(.com) is a neat inexpensive ā€œThingsā€. I have a device that controls the lights (0-10V PWM signal http://aquarium-led-controller.com/) on my saltwater aquarium. The only catch, it is also a ā€œcloud serviceā€ type of device. If SmartThings and Electric Imp partnered on the backend (AWS cloud), the possibilities would be endless.

For example:

In addition to acting as a GPIO, each pin on the imp can be configured to one of several special hardware functions. While pins may only have one function at a time, they may be reconfigured during runtime to change that function. For example, a pin may first be configured as a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) and then later reconfigured as an Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC). Additionally, not all the pins in a hardware function need to be assigned to that function. For example, pins 8 and 9 may be used as uart1289 and pins 1 and 2 used as i2c12.
1 Like

I have the hue lights and had them on a schedule prior to ST integration. The problem I have a friend that stays at my place 3 days a week(for work). Now my lighting schedule my not coincide with his schedule. The work around? I installed Tasker (only for android phones). Now he can send a text for example #Lights_Off to my phone, tasker will automatically send a text to IFTTT.com with the command to turn off the Lights. I also have it set up the same way for #Lights_On. Tasker works in the background and I never hear the texts being recd or sent. I also have it set up to where he canā€™t mess with me while Iā€™m at home(send me a text to turn off/on the lights) via Tasker as well(the GPS knows when Iā€™m home and ignores his text if it contains #Lights_Off or #Lights_On)

Any reason you havenā€™t had him download the app and add him on?

If heā€™s just controlling the Hue lights then he can also add himself to only the Hues using the Hue App.

With the app, I cannot restrict access to only when he is at my place. I gave him a presence sensor so the home knows to switch from secure to home modes. Knowing my buddy, my lights would be turning off/on and changing colors at some strange time while Iā€™m home. If the ST app had a little bit more of access control I would.

1 Like

He controls the hue lights via text to my phone, and itā€™s just on or offā€¦I also have a text for him just in case he sets the alarm offā€¦he texts me #all_ok and IFTTT turns off the sirens and changes the color of the lights from red to white.

the native Hue app can be setup to only be controlled when youā€™re on the local network, so it would only work when heā€™s there.

1 Like

Hey Everyone
Not sure if this is the right board for this but figured if not someone would let me know.
Looking to connect my Viper smart start to the smart things . it would be great if the car would start when motion is sensed then open the garage. wondering if any one could help?

1 Like

Honeywell makes several WiFi thermostats. I have the RTH6580WF. It is only $100. There app is very good but I would like to connect it to ST.

Support for the Somfy Zwave motorized blind/shade controller:

http://www.automatedshadestore.com/shop/product-info.php?Somfy_Z-Wave_to_RTS_Interface_NEW-pid561.html

3 Likes

Should be easy to make a device handler for that device. (Blind controller). If I can get one, I should be able to do this for the community. Note; I am just trying to assist, not working with smartthings. (Smile)

1 Like