Devices we don't have

I am new to Smartthings and have been using Vera controllers with Cooper Aspire RF dimmers on all of my integration jobs. I love the Cooper items, but would LOVE to switch to Smartthings controller. Cooper Devices are Z-wave, can they be added to the supported list? Also, can unsupported wi-fi and wave devices be manually programmed into ST? If so, where do i find the instructions?

Yes, but it is best to ask on a separate thread. Community or support will be happy to assist you.

I know many people have requested support for wall mount multibutton controllers.

I wanted to specifically ask about multibutton wall mount controllers that also control an electrical load, such as the second generation Leviton VRSC4 and Leviton VRZC4.

Most home automation controllers such as Vera and Homeseer will add two devices to the UI for these items, a binary on/off switch for the load relay and a separate scene controller. So one physical device but looks like two to the UI.

I’ve seen quite a few people in the forums mention a keypad of this type sometimes only working with button one as an on/off switch and the other buttons being ignored, and wondered if it was being paired as either the load relay or the scene controller but not both.

Section 2b at the following link shows how most controllers approach this during pairing:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Leviton_Scene_Controller

So my request is for support for a multibutton wall mount zwave controller that also controls a load. I don’t really care which brand, but the second generation Leviton VRSC4 works as an example.

I know there are some community-provided device types, but they appear to me to be ignoring the relay feature in favor of scene control, and I want both.

Also note that the first generation VRSC4 did not have relay control. So this request is specific to the second.

Sorry to be so technical on this but it’s a technical issue.

Thanks! :blush:

The original community developed device type was for the VRCS4 with the load. See this post: Leviton VRCS4

Some people have been having trouble with that no-load device.

I would like to have a device that integrates to ST that let’s me know when a device has been activated or deactivated. For example, our homes have emergency power generators. I’d like to know when they come on and stay on for longer than XX minutes. We have freezers in our homes that are supposed to be always on. But we travel alot and I’d like to get a message if a freezer shuts down. Or about about the attic ceiling fan. A way to know when it’s come on or gone off. I don’t think there is any way to do this presently.

@brucemi

Hi Bruce,

We are launching an energy monitoring solution that works with Smart Things. We are finalizing the integration, check out our website here and our post here:

Would love to have you as a customer and welcome any feedback on our product as integrate with ST!

-Erik

@DavidJulian13

Hi David, Check out Curb. We integrating with ST and monitor power consumption throughout your house. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

-Erik

Erik,

I took a look at the product, Curb, and it seems nice. But if I read things correctly, the Curb appliance needs to be cabeled (wired) into the router and is not WiFi capable. The power box in our home is no where near the router, so I don’t see how we could connect it. Additionally, while the product will tell me all about power usage, I’m interested in monitoring if the household power generator has come on. It doesn’t use electric, it runs on diesel fuel in the event of a power outage in the neighborhood. Can you clarify?

THanks
David

This might seem simple, but there is no non-clunky household door lock on the SmartThings website. I don’t want anything more than a sleek deadbolt. No buttons or keys. Just to replace the deadbolt. I want it to unlock when I approach it with my phone or presence sensor. They are made but do not work with SmartThings. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OHY14CS

The number of failures I’ve experienced with electronic locks … Hide-A-Key’s are still mandatory.

Thanks Cody. I do see now that ST supports Danalock, which actually looks pretty good and doesn’t have buttons or anything, which is what I wanted. Sorry to hear however that they have not worked out well for you. Any advice on why? Best products? etc. Not sure how you get in if the device doesn’t respond unless you go through another door, as I don’t think the supported Danalock (http://amzn.com/B00K4HRQBK) has a backup option.

David

I have recently received my Canary (canary.is) and I’d love to have smartthings tie in with it to sense motion and presence.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

At present Canary, by design, doesn’t integrate with anything else. (I suspect they’re trying to simplify customer support and reduce liability since it’s a security device.) So you’d need to talk to them first.

Our focus is on making Canary the best and simplest security product experience available. In the future, we will consider the possibility of integrating with other smart devices in ways that add significant value to our users…Our approach to security is to simplify and remove all the extra hubs, tags, sensors, and keypads that complicate the installation and daily use of most security products. We believe that a standalone device with the right combination of features and advanced intelligence can provide all the information necessary to understand and secure your home.

Telguard GDC1 Garage Door Control Switch. I have this on my SmartThings Hub and it works great but it should automatically look like a Garage Door.

Here is a YouTube video of it being added to SmartThings

1 Like

@terryhonn I strongly agree with you. Amazon really did a nice job with this device. Echo is my favorite device in my home, it will only get better. I can’t believe how fast it is. Now that I see how well it controls my WeMo and Hue Lights it’s really getting me excited about what’s to come. The app is very well thought out. If you spend a few minutes with it you’ll have it down in no time. If you have any issues, questions, complaints email their customer service. You will receive an answer and I feel like they actually care. You can tell they read and take time to respond. They should have released a white version as well. I have friends that actually won’t buy it until they do so, so I assume there are others who feel the same way too. Once Echo creates an IFTTT channel their back order list is going to be crazy.

My typical morning I wake up and have Echo turn on some lights, I get a news brief while in the shower, play a little music, check the weather, and then add something to either a shopping/to do list etc. It really comes in handy.

Amazon Echo integration.

3 Likes

Iris has a zwave certified glass break sensor. This is NOT a contact sensor, you mount it on the ceiling or another wall and it listens for a specific acoustic pattern. I’m pretty sure this one is a rebrand of the Nortek (Linear) GB00-1. Cost is $40. Device class is “sensor alarm,” the same as a flood sensor or smoke detector. On Iris it pairs as a “glass break sensor.”

http://www.lowes.com/pd_567900-78427-GB-00Z-1_0__?productId=50217433

As far as I know there aren’t any glassbreak sensors that currently work with SmartThings, so this would be nice to have.

2 Likes
1 Like

Just seen the skydrop today at Lowe’s. It looks to be a great gadget.