Device preference options of type bool, number and enum not being displayed in App

Enums are working, save, open,close whatever, all good for me

Are you using Android or iOS?

On iOS I checked again and whatā€™s working for device preferences is:

1. Text
  2. Enumeration

What is still NOT working:

1. Bool (not showing the true, saved but not showing)
  2. Number where defaults are given, if you donā€™t update the value (as in the first time the value shows correctly) and hit save the next time you open it shows the default value and not the value entered by the user

Androidā€¦

Well glad to know that at least one platform is clean. iOS when will thou start cooperating
Iā€™m getting a new android device next week letā€™s see how it goeS

This bug still exists!, Been 6 months and ST wonā€™t fix it, acknowledged it but deprioritized. Really? 6 months? Such a basic feature. Come on guys!

Tell you what Iā€™ve even written up the eMail to ST support, calling ALL iOS users please send this eMail to ST Support (support@smartthings.com).

SUBJECT: Bug in iOS app Device Preferences

Dear SmartThings,

Iā€™m writing in to report a bug to you that was introduced almost 6 months ago and itā€™s been FOUR releases since on the iOS app and the bug still hasnā€™t been fixed.
There are two bugs introduced in the iOS version 2.x app SPECIFICALLY for SmartDevice Preferences (SmartApp preferences donā€™t have this issue)

1. Bool inputs - Once a bool preference is enabled and saved, the next time I open the device preference the bool option shows up as disabled (even though at the backend in the SmartDevice the option is enabled, it shows up as disabled on the screen). Consequently if I need to disabled it, I need to renable it and then disable it (since itā€™s a display bug but at the backend it really is enabled)
  2. Number inputs - The number input reverts back to the default value (if the field has a default value) when I hit done/save without changing it. So I open the preferences and in the number input field say I enter 88 (and assume the default value for that input is set to 80 in the app), now I hit save/done. Then I reopen the app it shows up as 88, great. Now I hit done/save WITHOUT changing the number. Now I open the preferences again and the number now shows 80!

This has been reported by other users also but thereā€™s been no fix for the last 6 months! Why? Riley from ST support has acknowledged this issue but there is no fix. Please fix it!

You can find more details about it reported on the forum also here: Device preference options of type bool, number and enum not being displayed in App - #124 by RBoy

@RBoy

This issue was resolved. If it has returned for you please submit a support ticket so we can track and manage it.

Tim itā€™s never been fixed, I check EVERY week. Just checked again and itā€™s still there. iOS 7 iPhone.

My ticket has been open since July 9th this year. Iā€™ve been communicating with Riley O ever since and as recently as Nov 16th. Here is the last comm from him:

Thanks for the heads up, we absolutely have it documented and are pushing for a fix from our team but there are a few big ticket items I think the development team is focused on at the moment. I will see if I can get an update on progress for you at least.

He hasnā€™t given me a ticket number.

This. I was scratching my head trying to solve a weird issue with temperature offsets on the Iris Motion sensor. Makes much more sense now and I can replicate the bug. iOS 9.1, ST 2.0.4

2 Likes

@slagle
Tim let me know if I need to do anything else, should I ask Riley for a ticket number?

I agree with @RBoy, this bug still exists in iOS and was never fixed.

If you are seeing this issue please submit a ticket, if you already submitted a ticket please update it with the latest information.

There is a problem ticket for this. It was resolved, I remember testing it, but must have came back, so please make sure to have a ticket in so we can track this.

I did and I did.

Originally reported this on June 29th:

Devices handler preferences are not working on all devices.
The ā€œEnumā€ preference type cannot be selected. Displays "No available optionsā€ message.
The ā€œNumberā€ preference type does not retain its value. The field is blank every time a Device Preferences page is opened.

Updated on July 1st:

Yes, this resolves the ā€œenumā€ issue. However, the other issue is still not resolved. A ā€œnumberā€ input field with defaultValue, loses its current value. The field is displayed empty every time the preferences page is opened, meaning that the user has to enter the value every time before hitting ā€œDoneā€.

Never heard anything back since. Whatā€™s the point of updating if you never follow up?

@slagle my ticket is still open according to Riley, so Iā€™m confused as to whether it really is or isnā€™t.

@slagle any update on this? Can you please confirm if this is still being treated as an open bug and ETA on it?

I reported this to Riley again and given him the steps required to replicate it. @slagle can you confirm that this is still an open ticket?

Confirmed

1 Like

Any idea when a fix will get implemented @slagle ?

Looks in 2.0.7 iOS release the Integer input issue for device preferences has been fixed (phew and hope it stays this way). The Bool always shows as Disabled is still an active issue.

FYI @slagle @jody.albritton 2.0.8 iOS the bool device preferences issue still exists. Not yet fixed.

1 Like

@slagle Itā€™d be really great if the documentation on device preferences was finally updated. In particular, which input types are actually supported and which arenā€™t?

Iā€™ve been running into some weird behavior when trying to use ā€˜decimalā€™ and ā€˜timeā€™ input types in a device handler.

• ā€˜decimalā€™ input types seem to work for a while, but then forget their values after a few minutes.
  • ā€˜timeā€™ input types work as expected in the mobile app GUI, but cause an ā€˜HTTP 500: Internal Server Errorā€™ when trying to view the device in the IDE.

It really really is about time device preferences were fixed (ideally harmonised with smartapps) and documented properly!!