[DEPRECATED] Universal Ecobee Suite, version 1.7.**

Thanks, That worked. I am in business. Thanks again for the immediate solution!

With my two thermostats I want to write a routine that During 12-7pm, when one system is running (cooling) I want to set the other system either off or in additional mode (warmer temp), then when system #1 stops running, turn on system#2 (or resume normal mode) . I can then do the reverse, and this will then allow only one system to run at a time. What attribute can I use to indicate system #1, is running and can be my trigger to stop #2 from running?

I saw that on the other thread, and I posted some questions for you:

Just to verify - you have 2 zones, but only 1 condenser and air handler, correct?

If true, you should do some experimentation to see how long the HVAC takes to cool both floors at the same time vs. 2nd Floor then 1st Floor. You may find that the time is actually shorter if both zone cool at the same timeā€¦

If itā€™s 2 separate condensers and air handlers, then running them sequentially will reduce the peak demand, I should think.

2 separate units, each with their own air handler, compressor, condenser and thermostat.

I am going to play with using ā€˜equipmentOperatingStateā€™ state to set a variable that system A, is not running.

Hereā€™s how I suggest doing things:

1. Watch thermostatOperatingState - all you need to know is when it ISNā€™T idle (cooling, fan only)
  2. Change the thermostatMode to off (using setThermostatMode("off") on the other unit when the first one goes non-idle.
  3. When the first HVAC thermostatOperatingState goes back to ā€œidleā€, change the other unitsā€™ mode back to ā€˜coolā€™ or ā€˜autoā€™ using setThermostatMode()

You can do this in reverse also to make sure the first one doesnā€™t run if the second one is.

FWIW, the electric company is a bit more clever about managing demand - they will actually pre-cool your home BEFORE they want to set-back your thermostat (usually by 2-3 degrees)ā€¦

Iā€™m thinking about extended the existing Smart Zones Helper to handle your use case, maybe as an ā€œexclusiveā€ optionā€¦only let one Zone run at a timeā€¦

Thanks that is where I was headed. I now ā€œpre coolā€ the house both zones before the peak time starts at 12. Both my systems have two stages: Cool 1 and Cool 2. I may start by turning system A off when system B is on the 2nd stage and see what I get.

Let me know how it works out - perhaps I should be thinking about making a new Helper, like ā€œSmart Energy Miserā€ that handles pre-cool, exclusive operation, cool1/cool2, temperature setbacks during peak pricing time, etc. Lots of users ask about this - maybe itā€™s time to Just Build It.

Good luck!

Hi Bob -

That message is misleading/incorrect - the code simply decided that it wasnā€™t yet time to reduce the fanMinOnTime yet because because the delta between the min and max temps of your selected thermometers is 4.00Ā°, and you have the target set to 1.00Ā°.

I will fix the message in the next update to Smart Circulationā€¦

Thanks, Barry. The target temp delta was actually set to 5 deg in the helper. So at 4.00, shouldnā€™t it have been walking the circulation time back down from 55 min/hr?

Another questionā€¦ The helper has the option to enable for Location Mode, ecobee Mode OR ecobee Program. If I only select ecobee Mode as Cool and no other Modes or Programs, should the helper always run as long as the ecobee is set to Cool? If I do not add Locations Modes the log started reporting ā€œSmart Circulation Cool Not in specified Mode or Program, not adjustingā€.

Bob -

Could you try this one? It should fix the adjustments back down.

I still need to look at the Mode/Mode/Program issueā€¦

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SANdood/Ecobee-Suite/universal-dev/smartapps/sandood/ecobee-suite-smart-circulation.src/ecobee-suite-smart-circulation.groovy

Barry,

Thanks, Iā€™ve got it loaded and running some test cases against it now. Itā€™s cold and rainy here today so had to set some low thesholds for testing purposes.

Bob -

I just uploaded version 1.7.05b to the same URL - this one also fixes the typo that caused your issue with Modesā€¦

Thanks for the quick turn, Barry. Iā€™ll load up 5b now.

I installed an ecobee smart thermostat (e5) recently along with one of the new sensors.

No issues so far.

1 Like

Barry,

5b is working great. Thanks for the quick updates. I let it ramp up from 5 to 45 min/hr. Then I brought the sensors together, so they would be same temp, and it decremented back to 5 min/hr and has been holding with no errors. I also tested with the Location Mode deselected and ecobee mode set to cool. No signs of issue there either. Everything is working as expected.

Thanks again,
Bob

1 Like

Barry, For one day, I have been using equipment operating state to disable to other HVAC unit. One question instead of turning one unit off and then going to auto when the other HVAC is idle. Would using a much warmer schedule mode then resuming the normal mode/schedule when other HVAC, allow the system to react faster. I appears that when the system that was off, is reset to Auto it takes a few minutes for it to call the system to engage, even though the temp is below the set point.?

I honestly donā€™t know which is faster. Do you have Smart Recovery enabled? That might make it take longer.

You can try changing the setpoints, or perhaps even create a new Climate/Program with higher/lower setpoints than the default. Turning the HVAC off, however, ensures that the fan doesnā€™t run eitherā€¦changing the setpoints, the fan may still run if fanMinOnTime != 0.

Ecobee Suite Updated 11 June 2019 at 3:45pm EDT

Mostly polish-the-apple kind of fixes:

• Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.7.16
    • Better logging for Reservations
  • Ecobee Suite Contacts & Switches, version 1.7.11
    • Prevent duplicate/unnecessary notifications from sensors & switches
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Circulation, version 1.7.05
    • Fix automated reduction of fan minutes
    • Fix ā€˜Vacationā€™ detection & handling
    • Fix thermostat/location Mode issues
  • Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.7.05
    • Fix inside temp/setpoint override logic to prevent ping-ponging changes with outside temp mode changes

The updates are recommended for all users

Not sure why but seems my contact helper does not want to actually turn my thermostat back on. I have deleted and created a new helper and still same thing. Action preferences are set to notify and hvac actions.