[DEPRECATED] EchoSistant Version 4.0 ~ Evolved

Alexa, Tell the master bedroom to turn off the lights.

My profile name is masterbedroom.

Use the main intent to control individual devices (at this time).

Alexa, tell home to turn off the vanity light.

Got itā€¦ I guess (more of a trial and error thing) the question is whether ES will get confused when a device name shares a similar name as a profile name (i.eā€¦ masterbedroom profile and master bedroom light).

Trial and error is a good thing. Each person speaks differently and sound different to Alexa.

Best advice, try it. See what works for you.

If you find something that isnā€™t listed in the wiki, let us know.

Iā€™ve just tried those exact words. Doesnā€™t work - she canā€™t find a device called ā€˜garden lightsā€™ is the response I get

(and the reason I selected ā€˜gardenā€™ to test is I have no other devices named ā€˜gardenā€¦ā€™)

Post a picture of your logs

This will work, eventually. It takes pronunciation practice. Keep emphasising on IN the garden until you teach Alexa to map it directly to EchoSistantā€¦

As for the rest of your cases, the responses you have received are from Alexa official integration. Unfortunately smart home integration takes priority over custom skills. The fact that you have more than one device that has garden in its name, caused the confusion in Alexaā€™s official skill. The confusion that Echosistant is trying to avoid by repeating back to you what Alexa heard and giving you a chance to emphasize on the word Alexa missed the first time.

To answer to @JDogg016 question, yes! EchoSistant does eliminate, to the best of its abilities, the confusion based on invocation, with the caveat that EchoSistant relies on Alexa to provide accurate translation.

You donā€™t need to add ā€˜theā€™ to your Profile. Naming the intent bedroom, and calling the skill IN THE bedroom works. In my tests, I found that adding THE when calling out the skill actually works better.

1 Like

No! It will not get confused. Thatā€™s why device control goes through the Main skillā€¦tell home toā€¦and group control goes through the Profile. Two distinct processors that donā€™t interfere with each otherā€¦And if user mistakenly calls a Profile action through Main Skill, EchoSistant asks for clarification on what you meant. Now there is a limitation to that. In the sense that Alexa cannot switch between profiles on the flyā€¦If you accidently called the Main intent, when Alexa asks if you want to try again, it WILL NOT be able to fire actions on a Profile. It requires the Main session to end, and a new Profile session to begin!!!

@bamarayne good for mentioning in the wikiā€¦

The responses you are getting are from the official integration not EchoSistant. If Echosistant doesnā€™t find the device it would say:

• If it hears both the command and the davice name:

ā€œIā€™ve heard the command named ā€œonā€ and the device ā€œgardenā€ but I was unable to take any actions, would you like to try again?ā€

OR

• If didnā€™t get the command but heard the device name:

ā€œIā€™ve heard the the device named ā€œgardenā€ but I was unable to take any actions, would you like to try again?ā€

OR

• If didnā€™t get the either the command or the device name:

ā€œIā€™ve heard something but I was unable to take any actions, would you like to try again?ā€

Got it! BTW if nobody said it yet, thank you for taking the time to listen to all our silly questions.

3 Likes

This is an example of a typical profile that I have in my system.

Profile configuration for messages and group device control.

Profile Name ā€œLivingRoomā€

• Speakers chosen with volume set to 45
  • Disable Conversation enabled
  • Play this message before your spoken messageā€¦ ā€œAttentionā€
  • Group Dimmers and Switches - Chair Light, Corner Iris, Corner Light, Couch Light
  • Group Ceiling fans - Ceiling Fan
  • Group Colored Lights - Chair Light, Corner Iris, Corner Light, Couch Light

This profile allows me control over the ceiling fan, group light levels, and group light colors.
I am also able to send messages to the speaker named "Living Room Speaker"
I have individual control over each device in the room as well using the Main Intent.
The following commands are all tested and work for me. You may have different results
based on accent and if youā€™re male or female.

These commands work for this profile:

Voice Messages

• Alexa, Tell the Living Room that I am super awesome!

Reminders and Recordings

• Tell the living room to set a reminder to take out the trash
  • Tell the living room to cancel the reminder to take out the trash
  • Ask the living room what reminders do I have
  • Tell the living room to Cancel reminder to : < speak message HERE > or Cancel Reminder #
    If reminder text or number matches, Alexa confirms cancellation

Delayed Actions Commands

• Alexa, Tell Home to Turn on the Corner Light in 5 minutes

Group Device Control

• Alexa, Turn the Living Room lights off
  • Alexa, Turn the Living Room lights on
  • Alexa, Tell the Living Room to turn on the lights
  • Alexa, Tell the Living Room to turn off the lights
  • Alexa, Tell the Living Room to make it brighter
  • Alexa, Tell the Living Room to make it darker
  • Alexa, Make it brighter in the Living Room
  • Alexa, Make it darker in the Living Room
  • Alexa, Make the Living Room dim
  • Alexa, Make the Living Room brighter

Color Devices Control

• Alexa, Tell the Living Room to set the color to (choose a color)

Ceiling Fan Controls

• Speed Up the Ceiling Fan
  • Slow down the Ceiling Fan
  • Turn the Ceiling Fan to Low
  • Set the Ceiling Fan to Low
  • Adjust the Ceiling Fan to Low
  • Turn the Ceiling Fan to Medium
  • Set the Ceiling Fan to Medium
  • Adjust the Ceiling Fan to Medium
  • Turn the Ceiling Fan to High
  • Set the Ceiling Fan to High
  • Adjust the Ceiling Fan to High

Individual Device Control

• Tell home to make the corner light darker
  • Tell home the corner light is too dark
  • Tell home the corner light is too bright
  • Tell home to make the corner light brighter
  • Tell home to turn the corner Light off
  • Tell home to turn the corner Light on
  • Tell home to turn up the corner light
  • Tell home to turn down the corner light
  • Tell home to increase the corner light
  • Tell home to decrease the corner light
  • Tell home to set the corner light to 25%
  • Tell home to set the corner light to 5
  • Tell home to set the corner light 10
  • Tell home to set the corner light level to 25%
  • Tell home to set the corner light level to 5
  • Tell home to set the corner light level to 10
  • Tell home to dim the corner light
  • Tell home to brighten the corner light
3 Likes

No silly questions. In all honesty itā€™s made me think more about the logic process and ensure I give a complete write up of how to do things.

1 Like

Which logs do you want to see and in response to what action?

As for practicingā€¦I donā€™t think I can practice anymore, Iā€™ve said various things hundreds of times this evening, without success, and Alexa is having none of it. I think sheā€™s fed up with the sound of my voice now! :joy:

did you read the post above with how to set up the profile and what commands to use?

if you do whatā€™s in that post, and it doesnā€™t work, then there are other issues.

No worries, youā€™ll be paying back with your feedback to make EchoSistant better! There are no silly questionsā€¦

Olease take time to read my comments also, you are not using EchoSistant. You are actually ising the official integrationā€¦

There will be no logs from EchoSistant @bamarayne

I feel I need to start over with a new test profile. Iā€™ll try and select devices that Alexa canā€™t confuse for anything else.

I donā€™t have a speaker, so canā€™t test the voice feedback or custom messages.

I pretty much only have lights I can play with. Oh, and heatingā€¦but donā€™t even want to go there yet. I just need to get a simple test profile working before I try anything more complex.

Iā€™ll try and replicate some of the actions in the post you refer to. But Iā€™ve lost the will at the moment! Iā€™m feeling that I have no clue what Iā€™m doing, despite the assistance I have had on this forum. I appreciate that :slight_smile:

I really want this to work.

EDIT: And yes, I probably need to read everything again, including the comments on this thread. Patience is my weakness!

1 Like

My setup was going smooth until I finished the ā€œmain intentā€ and get a Lambda Response of: The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid.

What am I doing wrong? Iā€™m trying to get ā€œAlexaā€ to open ā€œgarage bayā€ and lock/unlock ā€œgarage bayā€

Have you completed the main intent skill setup?

Please check your API patth in Lambda code. It may be different. Also double check that token id and smart app id match with ST.

Sure you do! You have a ohone to send text to. And you have lights to create groups. Itā€™s the only way you can say lights off in the Bedroomā€¦