[DEPRECATED] Blink Camera Device Handler with Motion Sensor, Live Video Streaming, Integration with SmartThings/SHM, Temperature, Signals and Push Notifications

This is a practice discouraged by Blink hence we cannot officially provide
support for that. Blink is meant for motion based events. Doing a
continuous stream of pictures puts excessive load on the Blink server.

Hey @RBoy, Iā€™ve got my cameras hooked up with your app and itā€™s working great! The one thing that would make it perfect though (and Iā€™ve seen others mention it in this topic) is the ability to specify the cameras to function only as motion detectors. Do you know if/when such a feature has a chance of being implemented? Iā€™m guessing there would need to be a firmware update on Blinkā€™s end or something. But any info you have would be very appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ll answer for RBoy. You should submit a feature request to Blink for this. Itā€™s been a common question on this thread.

1 Like

Done! Thanks for the quick reply.

And in the mean time, you can set the Blink camera to take a 1 second video clip. And increase the sensitivity as needed. This basically turn it into a motion sensor only. This can be don via the @RBoy app for different modes in ST.

@lmosenko The problem is though I actually want to use the motion detection to detect when everyone has gone to sleep (no motion detected on main floor for the last 30 minutes) and then set the location mode to Night, which will turn on my alarm if any motion is detected from the cameras. Even with a 1 second video clip and a long retigger time, itā€™ll still be recording a lot while weā€™re all moving around the house, and all meaningless clips. Which Iā€™d rather avoid for battery reasons and for not filling up my clip storage with hours of nonsense.

You canā€™t avoid the video recording however you can reduce the sensitivity when in Home mode and then increase it when in night mode using the SmartApp mode based configuration page. This should help reduce the number of clips. But to have no video recording send in a request to Blink to allow for a 0 second recording option, i.e. Just notification with no video.

1 Like

Is anyone else having issues receiving camera notifications? I no longer am getting them via SmartThings (with this smart app). Theyā€™ve been sporadic for a day or so but now they donā€™t seem to work at all.

Yes same here. Last motion event from camera was last night at 11pm cst.

Same here.

Yes Blink has some changes recently to integrate some new channels. Working
with them to get it fixed. It affecting some users. Sorry about it guys.

1 Like

I am now getting motion notifications from the blink cameras. Looks like it is fixed.

I have my blink cameras taking a photo when motion is detected. I can see these photos in the tile of each camera. How do you delete these photos? Iā€™m afraid that all these photos will start to eat up storage on my phone.

Yes the engineers have patched it up. Happy holidays to everyone and thanks
to the blink folks who were out of office and still helped us fix this.

1 Like

I seem to be getting 3 notifications for every 1 motion event now. Hoping that clears up eventually.

You should reinitialize the SmartApp open and click done.

Just bought and installed the DTH and smart app. Thanks for this.

For some reason its not synching up to my SHM status. Is this a known bug in this version?

I set it up to arm cameras in certain modes and disarm all when in home mode or SHM disarmed. It didnt work. My house looked like a disco party with the flashes going off. Along with getting notifications in ST, I was getting 30 second clips in the Blink app. I had them all disarmed(or so I thought) when the mode was SHM mode was disarmed, but in the child app, they were showing ā€œactiveā€ā€¦hence the disco lighting anytime motion was detected.

Any pointers for a Blink noob?

Ideally Id like to arm them when I leave (via CoRE), disarm when weā€™re home (CoRE), and arm them again when we go to bed (CoRE).

Thoughts?

The platform is probably timing out. How have you configured it currently
(what options in the SmartApp) as there are multiple way to do this
(through the mode based arming, SHM based arming in the SmartApp or
enabling / disabling the camera through SHM or through routines etc)

Also posted here:

Blink Video Length

Blink now allows you to set video lengths up to 60 seconds but I get an error in CoRE when trying to set the video length beyond 10 seconds. Is this a limitation of CoRE?

Thanks.

1 Like

The way I had it configured:
ARM/Disarm cameras for specific SHM/Modes
-SHM integration
ā€“When SHM is Away, arm all cameras disarm none.
ā€“WhenSHM is Stay, Arm certain cameras, disarm none
ā€“When SHM is Disarmed, Disarm certain cameras

Nothing else in the ā€œSHM Integrationā€ menu was changed.
Nothing in ā€œMode based camera configurationā€ was changed

Retry command on server error is ā€œonā€
Switch interface Arms/Disarms system instead of camera" is NOT on. (should this be?)

I verified that this setup did NOT work, today, when I got home. My SHM and Abode were both disarmed, but my cameras were still armed in the Blink app and the ST app.

My setup is Abode for home security, linked to ST via IFTTT. Abode arms and disarms my SHM.

Ideally Id like to have CoRE arm and disarm the Blink camera system, based on the state of my Abode.

I have a couple virtual devices(virt contact sensors) that are used to link Abode to ST:

If I could successfully arm and disarm the blink cameras the same way (via CoRE), that would be fantastic! Id preferably like to modify these 2 pistons to arm and disarm the cameras.

Am I missing anything in the config? Or do I just not understand how it works? Is there a long delay between SHM status change and Blink camera arming/disarming?