[DEPRECATED ] Automatic Connected Car- Integration with SmartThings

Just follow the steps described at the ST community wiki under troubleshooting (item 11) and it will work provided that the Automatic backend returns the right finished:trip address.

Sometimes, the Automatic backend will return different end addresses for your home (gps data are not precise), so you need to enter the minimum info (ex. street name or zipcode in urban areas ) for a match. If you enter the whole address, the match cannot be done 100%.

Just look in live logging for the minimum address to be entered or in the list of events for the device as indicated at the wiki.

P.S. At my home, I’ve entered the street name as my home address and it works well.
Regards

Ok I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

My presence detection was also not working recently.

Just started working again today.

Is yours working now @Matthew_Freestone?

Sadly still not working for me

I’m getting “Something strange happened An unknown error occurred…” after I login with my username and pass, right after I click “authorize” to use with Smartthings. Anyone seen this error before?

Hi, nobody has seen this error before (to my knowledge), so there must be something odd under your ST or Automatic account.

Please double check the following:

• you’re following all the prerequisites at the github readme (right shard, location setup);
  • you’ve actually entered the right Automatic username/password.

P. S. I’ve also double checked the login authorization flow under my account and the code works fine.

If you need further assistance, please contribute to my support packages at my store and I will set you up.

Regards.

Just to confirm, Smartthings has made the common “graph.api.smartthings.com” redirect to the appropriate shard based on my hubs location correct? Or should I still follow your instructions for locating the appropriate shard and using that one. That is the only step to which I did not adhere due to the ‘automatic shard redirection’ I read about. Maybe I did not fully grasp its purpose.
Thanks for the follow up.

It was published on the correct shard because it appears in my app. Still dumbfounded but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

I’m getting the exact same error message. I’ve tried going back a couple of steps and redoing things but still no success.

Hi,

Automatic has just recently changed the oAuth2 flow and this is causing integration issues with SmartThings.

I’ve submitted a ticket to Automatic and I’m waiting for an answer.

Regards.

Hi @ygnacio,@Scola

The oAuth flow has been corrected…You can now download the new version of the Service Manager at my store.

Regards.

Im having an issue currently with my fuel level on both my vehicles showing null. It just started a few days ago. Is this an issue on Automatics end?

It looks like it as I don’t have this issue myself. Please call Automatic support and let me know.

Regards

Hi, after a more careful check, I did notice the same issue. I’ve sent an email to developer@automatic.com and waiting for an answer.

You should also send an email to support, as they tend to be very slow and not really helpful sometimes. If many are reporting the same issue, this may speed up the resolution.

I’ve checked the Automatic documentation, and it seems that the APIs haven’t changed (get Vehicle, get Trip), but I see that some fields are no longer populated by the Automatic backend in the logs (ex. start & end addresses, fuel_level_percent, battery_voltage).

This issue doesn’t affect My Automatic UI fields as they are all populated properly. Only few attributes in the DTH.

When I get some answers, I will let you know.
Regards.

@Matthew_Freestone,@diehllane and others,

So, I haven’t gotten any answers from support but after digging in the Automatic community forum, I’m starting to realize that they have made a lot of changes in the backend for the the last 2 months:

• Automatic has changed their map provider which has caused a lot of issues for their users as a lot of them have received “unknown addresses” in the Automatic mobile app and elsewhere (through their APIs).

• Apparently, for the US customers, the solution is to unplug and replug the Automatic device in your car. US customers may want to try that if they have any issues with their Automatic devices.

• For outside the US, the new map provider doesn’t give any address info anymore. So, My Automatic device won’t be able to detect presence for international users (presence detection can be done only in the US).

Refer to the Automatic Community threads for more details:

This is now documented as well at the ST community wiki under My Automatic device entry:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Automatic_Device#3._For_international_users.2C_address_info_is_no_longer_available

Regards.

Hello Yves, GM! I am a subscriber for your Automatic code
Will there be an e-mail with the link to the updated service manager as before?
(The last one i have is from Jun 6th 2017)

Thanks!

There is no change to my code. Those are new limitations of the Automatic backend.

Oh ok. Thanks for the update Yves.

The only thing to be aware also is that there have been some changes to the Automatic oAuth flow so if you need to re-authenticate later, you’d need to follow some extra steps at the gitbhub:

Regards.

2 Likes

Any word on the fuel level stat? It still shows null for both my wife and I.