CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

I’m using this one…

GE 12724 - looks like the one in your picture - may be a DTH feature that’s missing in the stock DTH…

Mine is the older version of that… GE 45609

Mine is a Leviton VRMX-Z1. And I’m almost positive it’s a DTH feature. I’m using the “Dimmer Switch” Type.

…and I found it. There is the code for the digital/physical check in the DTH for the Z-Wave Switch, but not in either the Dimmer Switch or Z-Wave Generic Dimmer Switch either. Interesting.

Edit 2: Ok, replaced my DTH with the one I linked above (here) and now I have the physical/digital coming through.

Is that for a dimmer too? Or just switch? Mine are mostly dimmers. Guess I will adapt the code :wink:

Dimmer. Working well for me now. One thing I’m not clear on is if it’s better to have a bunch of smaller pistons doing one off actions or a larger piston that has a if/else if/etc. structure from a resource perspective. Seems like - from a logic perspective - there’s no need for the else if structure and smaller pistons would work…but not certain if there’s additional overhead there.

1 Like

I said before, I think @slagle and @Aaron agree, the ideal setup involves the minimum number of subscriptions to devices. Ideally, one SmartApp only subscribing to any of your devices. The more SmartApps subscribe to the same device/attribute event, the more SmartApps running simultaneously you get, more stress on the system. But that is just my opinion…

So a rule of thumb would be if a piston is already subscribing (using) a device and you would like to do something else with that same device to use the same piston say with an If else?

I apologize, but I must be just stupid. I can’t figure out how to get a basic piston to only fire once per day. I’ve got one that looks to see if temp outside is more than 5 degrees cooler than indoors and IF so, I SMS myself to open my windows (I live is So California, this is common). I’ve got the piston set up, but it fires multiple times because it stays true for a while…any clues how to modify this piston to only fire ONCE per day?

1 Like

I have a latching piston that does a similar thing, it is setup like this:

but instead of 3:01 pm you will want midnight to reset it for the next day

Yup. :slight_smile:

Go to the action and scroll down to find Action Restrictions. Enable the execute on piston state change only to rate limit the action.

I have some great pistons now setting light levels according to illuminance, time of day and mode triggered off of motion.

I think the last part I want to add to my pistons is to get a good fade to desired level working. I’m using GE 12729s. If you turn them on or off at the switch there is a nice fade to on and a nice fade to off. I want to replicate that in CoRE

Turning them off with CoRE you still get the nice fade. However I can’t figure out a good way to turn on to a desired level and still get the nice fade.

1. just turning them on - you get the fade, but it turns on to the previous level, not necessarily the level I wanted.

2. using set level - is an instant on at that level

3. fade to level options in CoRE produce a stepped level increase instead of a continuous fade

4. It is possible to turn on and then set level but that produces a level jump after the initial fade

Anyone doing something similar and found a good way to achieve a continuous fade to a desired level in CoRE using a 12729?
Thanks.

I would like to get a push notification when no one is home and a door is unlocked after 10 minutes of no one being home. Any ideas?

not sure why you want the 10 minute gap I use something similar …

IF
presence sensors - all not present and any door changes to unlocked

when true send SMS notification: text to number: your number …

The 10 minute gap is because the door is really an Simplisafe alarm with lock/unlock capabilities. I put a 10 minute buffer check as there is a 5 minute delay when my house goes into away mode, enables SHM-armed and reports accurate Simplisafe status. So your suggestion doesn’t work in my use case.

You can build on r4nd0m’s example and just add a Wait 10 minutes with cancel on piston change.

This is what I was looking for. I cannot find the “cancel on piston change” option. I ony see “execute on pistol change”. Where is this located?

Bottom of the Task building screen “Task cancellation policy”

Thank you! I was looking all over for it.

1 Like