CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Ok I think this has been asked a few times but I can’t seem to find an answer showing some examples in either CoRE or webCoRE. I have a four button controller and I’d like to set up core to aid in the following:

• Press and release button 1 = Turns Light On
  • Press and release button 2 = Turns Light Off
  • Press and release or hold button 3 = Increase light level incrementally until 100 starting from current level if on or 0 if off
  • Press and release or hold button 4 = Decrease light level incrementally until 0 starting from current level

Anyone have a sample Piston that would aid in the above scenario? I got the first button scenarios but having difficulty with the dimming.

Thanks

Hi,

I saw your question in the other thread earlier, I meant to reply but got sidetracked lol.

For dimming from current level… you can do this, and reverse it for raming up

THEN...
Using Light...
► Save attribute 'level' to variable {curLevel}'
► Wait 2 seconds
► Fade level from curLevel% to 0% in 600s  (change the 600 to your desired fade time)

The below piston was working fine couple days ago. I did not change anything. But now my current humidity will not display properly when I get a notification. Any ideas?

So, all the light switches in my home are INSTEON as I love their switches and they are extremely reliable, I can change LED colors on the switches, etc. I have an RGBW light inside my shower that is ZigBee controlled via SmartTthings. When we turn the switch on/off it works just fine. The only thing is that it defaults to the soft white setting which is to be expected since it’s losing power. I want to setup a CoRE piston to automatically set the light to Daylight White setting. So I set a piston to say ‘if light changes to ON, set to daylight white.’ This doesn’t work though. I am doing ‘changes to on’ so that this only triggers when the light gets turned on as I still want to be able to issue voice commands to change the light to other colors, I just want the default to be daylight white. Any suggestions?

Can you post a screenshot of the piston from the dashboard?

Another things I want to accomplish. I use Harmony Hubs for all our various media setups. Our playroom downstairs has a setup for our kids, but they are constantly leaving it on. There is a smartthings motion sensor in the room. I want to set it so that if there is no motion detected for 30 minutes it sends the ‘turn playroom hub off’ command to turn everything off. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

For example, if playroom hub is NOT off, and motion sensor hasn’t been triggered for 30 minutes, set playroom hub to off.

Sorry I was asking for the view of the piston in its entirety.

The second screenshot shows that.

So as I’m getting more familiar with core, which I LOVE, I’d like to know a good set up to turn all my lights normal white instead of all the crazy color combinations i use for various moods. I know I can go into any app I have via hue or smartthings and change but that’s my problem.

What I want is kind of like a harmony activity for my Netflix. All lights turn red when Netflix is on and back to white when tv mode is on. I’ve done all this in harmony.

I’d like to use something like double tap on one of my kitchen or various real switches so when the wife is upset and says “will you please just turn on the normal color lights” if I have to dig through an app or take longer then 10 seconds WAF just went to 0. And forget about asking alexa at those moments that’s like talking to another girl lol. I would like to hit my switch twice and bam have a piston fire all my selected lights white or whatever normal is acceptable.

Any guidance on if core is what I need and if so which style should I use. I set up a similar thing in my bathroom with two lights and it seems to work but I really just kind of muddled through it so just wondering if there’s a preferred route to make the wife happy and bright. Lol

Hello - I have a piston in coRE that turns on a light on a dimmer, but I would like to expand it such that before I turn it on, I would like to save the existing state of that light, ie, off or on, and if on, level, and set it back to that state later. How can I do that?
Thanks,

The task you want for that is Save attribute to variable, where you can save the state, level etc… and then use Load attribute from variable to reverse the process.

Thanks. But what happens if I am controlling 3 devices, ie, 2 dimmers and 1 switch? In looking at the attributes for Save Attribute, there appears to only be 1 set of options, one of which is Switch. Does that mean the status of the switch will be saved as on/off and the dimmers will be stored as their level?

I’m having to rebuild my pistons pretty regularly. Am on latest version of core but all my if statements are changing to blank. Re building works but only temp. Guessing this isn’t normal?

You can create two set of tasks, one for the dimmer and one for the switch. Yes on the switch attribute as on/off and level for the dimmer. I have not tried combining dimmers and switches with the load attribute so I don’t know how it will behave when you do:

Using dimmer and switch...
> Load switch and level attribute from variable switchStatus

Ok so I must suck at this. Trying to play with an automation in the event of a fire. I don’t have detectors yet but set it up to detect by temprarure. I can’t seem to get it running though. Can you see anything I did wrong? ( I only added the Aron labs motion sensor so I could trigger the piston quickly for testing ).

Thanks in advance

Remove the temperature conditions while testing to see if your tasks will execute.

Motion isn’t initiating and simulator just shows this.

Sometimes it’s just easier to create a virtual switch that you can turn on and off to trigger tasks that you’re experimenting on.

After you create the virtual switch, you can use it as your trigger as in:

IF
VirtualSwitch changes to on
Then
Using your_devices
  > Do this..

For some reason it fired this time. As soon as the motion sensor turned active, the lights flashed, doors unlocked and the AC shut off. The only thing that didn’t run was the Sonos speaking text.