CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Gotcha. Here is a basic variable counter piston I use in my mailbox. Start along this line and see what you can get…

I need some more help troubleshooting my garage/basement lighting automation. What I’m finding is that if the garage door is opened/closed too fast (i.e. opened/closed twice in one minute), then the piston gets stuck in true mode.

Based on Ady624’s recommendation I tried changing the IF statements to all triggers (acceleration changes to active, motion changes to active, garage door changes) - but same result.

Attached is the picture of the piston in action. You can see the IF statements are all false, and the BUT IF statements are all true. but the piston is stuck in TRUE and the lights are left on:(

Any tips?

Thanks,
-mark

I am struggling with I think an else-if situation.

I have a motion sensor and light in the kitchen. I want it to turn off after 5 minutes of no activity. But during certain times of the day I would like it to be at different brightness. This way if I decide to go to the kitchen in the middle of the night I am not blinded.

Does anyone have a similar situation?

This does exactly what you’re looking to do, and more.

I am using a latching piston for this.

Where do you get the tcp cancel on Piston state change. I can’t find that option. I think that’s where my problem is on my issue.

In the series of Tasks you set up, it should be on the bottom of the page under Advanced Options > Task cancellation policy.

If you’re setting up a Voice Macro to run a CoRE Piston in Ask Alexa… What kind of piston would you use in CoRE? I’m a little unclear on this side of the integration. Thanks!

You can use any kind of piston that you want.

Just use the askAlexa option in the conditions to fire the piston.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t even notice that option.

Thank you.
Tried it two times today, no luck.
If anyone in here could take a look at my screenshots.

It was on for maybe 30 mins after washing program was finished (then I switched it off manually).

Wemo insight wont turn off, no notifications is received.

many thanks @jsulliweb! Trying it but still not there. I tried to add (wait 5) like so

IF (contact changes to open)
THEN wait 5
THEN IF (contact stays closed) — but “stays closed” isn’t an option here, only “is”, “is not”, etc (the ones with the small circle outline to the left).

Contemplating next move…

Do you know for certain your machine gets over 400w?

You shouldn’t need the “Then If” at all.

If
Contact Changes to open
Then
Using
Wait 5 minutes
Other task(s)
TCP: Piston State Change **

On the “Then” page where you create the actions… At the very bottom of that page, you’ll see “Task Cancellation Policy”. Change it to “Cancel on Piston state change”. That means if the contact closes after that, it will reset the piston. It won’t restart the countdown until the contact opens again. So if you have the cancellation policy set, it won’t run the action until the contact stays open for the full 5 minutes.

Does that make sense?

Here’s a pic of how my kitchen lights turn off. It’s part of a latching piston and motion stops, not contact open, but the overall basic concept is the same. Just imagine as If, not But If. Hope that helps!

Not sure what might be going on here so let’s get started

Many of my Pistons haven’t changed in months, currently running Core 2.14b

Sunset Piston mostly very good, just ST acting up a few times lately
Good night routine calls a Piston that always turns off lights when we go to bed
Lights come on in the AM as scheduled

My issue is this, when we both leave, my “Coming and Going” Piston is supposed to turn off all lights, however none of the lights actually go off. I know the piston runs since I get a text if any door/windows are open and lately we have been leaving open a couple bathroom windows for ventilation.

When I go into ST Things, they show as Turned On and when I try and turn them off manually, it usually takes 2-3 times before they show/stay off

Is it my Piston? Is it STs???

Thanks in advance
Rick

I’ve been seeing this problem a WHOLE lot over the last week or so, and it’s only been getting worse.

I ran a zwave repair last night, i found a “ghost” device and 2 non responsive devices.

I reset one of the devices
I removed one of the devices
I sent an email to support and the ghost was busted in less than 12 hours.
Oh, I also found a non responsive zigbee device… which is kind of funny since I have several installed that aren’t actually part of any automation and they do nothing… hmmmmm…

Now, my system is back to its old not 99% self!

Give it a shot…

Yes it does, I was looking at the Wemo insight often, and it was over 1200w at some point.
You have any idea?

Mine has been doing this for about a month, every day when I get to work, I have to shut off the lights.

How do you see ghost or non-responsive devices? All mine appear to be fine. I ran a zware repair, the log shows started and finished about 2 mins later, nothing else

Rick

Well, a ghost shows up as a zwave failure with no device name, only a device is number.
A non responsive device will show as a zwave failure that failed to update the mesh.

I’ve noted that two separate CoRE pistons that have been running fine for a while, didn’t execute as expected - one last night and the second one this morning. Once I looked at each piston in CoRE and then hit ‘done’, they both executed fine. I’m sure it’s an ST issue. However, I have noticed that ST’s responsiveness is getting slow and flakey again.

I also note that in your message, you mentioned running Z-Wave Repair and also finding a non-responsive Zigbee device. Although I understand about using Z-Wave repair and I’ve done that more in recent days, I’m interested in the non-responsive Zigbee device. I have a number of Zigbee devices (mostly GE Link Bulbs) that normally run very well (in spite of a lot of other’s having issues). Within the last few days, some of them no longer report the % properly. They respond to a requested change and turn on and off just fine. They just don’t report the current % setting.

Anyway, how did you find the non-responsive Zigbee device. Just be turning it off and on and seeing that nothing happened?

For the zigbee devices I actually go to the recent on each device and see when the last report was… That’s about the only way I know of, unless there is a failing automation.