Controling ceiling fan and light with one switch?

It isn’t ideal but certainly doable. Is it only and ONLY the two wires at the fan? If so that means the power was run through the wall switch box. This is an important detail to know so we know what your options are for hardware devices and where they must be located.

I would suggest if the above is true than to install a GE 12730 Smart Fan Controller (allows for 3 speed fan control) at the wall box switch location and like @pizzinini recommended put a in-wall smart dimmer or switch to control the light.

The more common installation though is to have the power run to the ceiling fan first. And if that is true you won’t have a neutral located at the wall box meaning you won’t be able to install the GE12730 there and it will have to be located up at the ceiling fan. In my house I had to install both the GE and the smart dimmer up in the fan canopy/ceiling box.

So please open up the wall switch box and see if you have incoming power on one of the romex (black from the breaker panel, and the white neutral) and then you have a second romex that goes up to your ceiling fan/light box. And check the same at the ceiling fan fixture wiring box. I use a non-contact voltage detector to help me determine what wiring I have. If you post a picture of the box wiring it really will help us to help you if you are not sure.

Then answer a couple of questions to determine your use case on how you want to use the system:

• Do you want to have dimmable light control or simple On-Off control?
  • Do you want to use incandescent, LED or CFL bulbs?
  • Do you want 3-speed fan control or just simple On-Off to whatever speed I set via the pull chain?
  • Do you want to have local manual control of the fan at the wall box?
  • Do you want to have local manual control of the light at the wall box?

Each of these options have pros and cons depending on the location of the neutral at the wall box or at the ceiling box. Based on your answers also determine which device to use and then the priorities you put on each also affect your choices.

And finally here is a smartapp to control the ceiling fan based on temperature.

5 Likes