Connected Smoke Alarms

Good spot - Never used SHM. Just tired it and I was able to add the automation.

I haven’t tested yet, the missus is watching her favourite TV programme and 12 smoke alarms going off won’t put me in her good books :slight_smile:

Neil, just to say that you’ve got further with your project than me, I never moved mine into ‘production’, so now now your’re pioneering. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I thought I would resurrect this old thread as I have just connected some none smart UK Aico hard wired smoke alarms to my ST hub. Typical….I find this thread after I have just completed the task!

I have three hard wired (interconnected Aico smokes throughout my house) and I was looking for a way to add an additional smoke alarm to another room and have it link to the other units, but unfortunately don’t have the cabling in place for the interconnect), plus I am now “smart” enabling my house where possible.

So I came up with the idea of getting a wireless (ST compatible) smoke detector for the new location and somehow adapting my existing smokes to be wirelessly connected to ST.

I wanted the solution to be discreet and offer bi-directional functionality, where the hardwired existing smokes could trigger an ST event, but also I could trigger them to alarm via ST.

My solution… an Aico relay board (specifically the Ei128R) which fits above an existing smoke alarm. This runs off mains power and provides a 0v switched output, this will provide me with the case for the new hardwear and also the output for detecting a fire.

Next I used a flashed Sonoff Basic switch, I unsoldered the relay and attached the coil via fly leads back to the Sonoff board. I got a 10year 9V battery, connected the negative to the neutral terminal on the Aico relay board. The positive of the battery went to one of the sonoff relay switch terminals. The other terminal on the relay went to the interconnect terminal on the Aico relay board.

This will now give me remote activation of the Aico smoke detectors via the Sonoff switch and ST (The 9V battery provides the trigger voltage down the interconnect wire) :slight_smile:

Now to detect the Aico smokes going off… I used the GPIO functionality on the same Sonoff. I soldered a wire to the GND pin on the Sonoff and connected that to the common terminal on the Aico relay board. I then soldered a wire to the Key pin on the Sonoff and connected that to the NO terminal on the Aico relay board.

I configured the Sonoff to have momentary switch operation, with a 1000ms debounce. I set the Aico relay board to be in pulse mode.

All the required hardware (and 9V battery) fitted into the Aico relay base (with a little modification). Total cost about £40

J.

ps - Two things to note. If the Key pin is held to ground when it powers on, it wont boot. And if the key pin is held to ground for a long period (40 seconds?) then it performs a factory reset. It might be better using a different GPIO pin, 3 maybe?
pss - If the Aico alarms trigger, this will then turn on the Sonoff switch, which in turn supplies 9V to the Aico smokes, triggering an already triggered alarm. What this will mean, is that if the Aico alarms reset themselves then they will still alarm because the Sonoff is injecting 9V keeping them triggered. You will need to turn off the Sonoff.

Relatively new to the ST community.

I have been trolling through the articles and have been able to do some integrations. Current project is a connected smoke alarm - using a door sensor. I was able to read through and install my door sensor (go-control / Nortek) using a relay (First Alert RM4 with hardwired BRK/First Alert units) and it works. Shows open or closed and i can also automate scenes.

Now, i want to make this a bit more user friendly in showing the right message (Smoke / Clear and colored text). i.e. changing it from a open/close sensor to a smoke type sensor.

Saw various articles and i think a few folks have written device handlers to do this.

I found Luder888’s device handler for this from 2016. Is this the most updated Or is there another one i should be using ?

Thank you for redirecting / advise.

rCube