Coming May 2015 Aeon Labs Light Bulb

No problems on the 3 GE Link bulbs I have, though 2 are not used very often yet.

I have one of these but it doesn’t pair.

Any suggestions?

You have the new aeon labs bulb? That’s a zwave bulb, not zigbee, it should pair as a zwave dimmer switch. @smart had a zwave bulb, I think the Domitech, it paired OK but buzzed too much in the fixture he was using. He might know if there was anything odd about inclusion.

I do see two things specific to the Aeotec bulb:

First, the instructions say put the controller into pairing mode, then turn the bulb off once, then on, so I assume you’ve done that.

Second, this bulb, like the other recent Aeotec releases, supports security. That may require it to be quite close to the hub for initial pairing. Or try using the Minimote to include it.

@Tyler do we know anything about this zwave bulb yet?

@beckwith @JDRoberts it did pair fine for me but there was too much flickering, too dim and turned on in slow motion
 Went back to Amazon.

Good point. I’ve also had better luck with Gen 5 Z-Wave after rebooting the hub. Can’t do that right now but will try later tonight.

@smart this bulb doesn’t seem to flicker. Right now it is in pairing mode where the four RGB LED lights cycle through “a colorful gradient”. The fifteen outer LEDs haven’t lighted yet and I assume they are the white LEDs, but 15 instead of 16?

I knew the unit was damaged on arrival because it rattled. After opening I found the bulb separated from the base. I was able to pop it back on, however, the screw in base was bent and would not make proper contact with the socket. I bent the socket contact out to compensate.

I’ll upload photos later.

Flickering is most often due to incompatibility with a particular light fixture/switch, the same bulb might be fine in a different setting.

I haven’t gotten my hands on one yet. Should be soon though!

2 Likes

@beckwith glad it worked for you
 It may be be my late sixties house wiring.i had tried it on pullchain as well as table lamp where the hues, luxes, GE and regular LEDs work fine. But didn’t you find it dim? May be my eyes
 :wink:

@smart Are you talking about the Domitech bulb or Aeon?

Linearlinc. 21 characters

You’re not the only one. I have a dozen GE Link’s (replaced TCP Connected) that I’ve used for about 6 months now. No issues at all for me. They turn on, off and dim without ever having to turn them off/on (unlike the TCP’s).

I just wish they would dim down to 5% like the TCP’s. The Aeon should be dimmable to 1%, which is awesome. I have one of the new Aeon bulbs, just waiting for integration to catch up.

1 Like

The Links should dim all the way down. I routinely have mine dimmed to 1%. Now the 1% dim on the GE Links isn’t as dim as I’ve seen some others, probably because of the clear glass dome. When you dim down really low, do the bulbs turn off or does the bulb just not respond to the command?

The GE Link bulbs are only dimmable to 10%. They may REPORT 1%, but they are in fact at 10%.

This can be confirmed by stepping the brightness down from 10% to 1% - there is no change in lumens output.

That is, of course, unless there has been a firmware update since December (when I purchased mine) which enabled dimming below 10%.

Are you using the default devicetype? Or have you paired them with wink or hue? They can, in fact be dimmed to 1%.

There was an issue in how the hex values were converting numbers below 7% that caused this issue.

Default device type, yes. I just (last night) added two more bulbs, just tested again, will not dim below 10%. I have not paired them with any other hub, I only have a ST hub.

Should I be using a custom type?

Let me see if I can find the fix. I use a custom devicetype I wrote. Let me also check the default devicetype to see if they ever implemented the fix.

EDIT: It appears that the 3-6 version change 9 has the latest fixes. Not sure if you installed prior if you automatically get the latest devicetype or not.

Worst case, remove a bulb, factory reset it and re-add it and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for the suggestion! I removed and added the GE Link bulbs back in and now I can dim to 1%.

3 Likes

I am thinking about getting me one, so can the aeon bulb work with ST? If so how do I connect it?
I currently have the Cree bulb and love it. I have 0 delay

I think it will add as a regular bulb like your cree. Then you have to go to the devices section of the IDE and change the device type to the latest one listed in this topic. If you don’t know how to use the ide take some time to do some searching. For this the only skill you will need is copy + paste. :grin:. Let us know if you still can’t figure it out.

Thanks @keithcroshaw! I will try it out when I order one.