CNET Article - SmartThings snatches Amazon's director of engineering

I think it’s just referring to good QA practices that keep the “car” from plunging off the “cliff”.

Release management, test suites, etc.

I wonder if Mr. Parker, perhaps while at Microsoft, ever crossed paths with Mr. Ravenel at Intel or subsequent ventures??? Completely baseless dreaming on my part, but I’m just envisioning the nirvana of ST hiring a disciple of @bravenel. It’s clear they couldn’t afford the real thing, but…

1 Like

Is it Generally accepted? I don’t think that Amazon would have launched echo at all if they didn’t have high expectations for it.

I agree, the Guardrail comment to me too reads like a better/stricter process for new development. Hopefully he can stop the 1 Step Forward 2 Steps Back business going on (I do believe it has been getting better)

Yeah, that’s exactly what the reporter had in mind, not. it’s particularly obvious in his ‘minuscule’ subtitle…‘EVEN AS IT ADDS CONSTRAINTS, SMARTTHINGS INTENDS TO STAY OPEN’ …Constrains, guardrails…what ever you want to call it, to me doesn’t sound like rigorous QA, but less open environment, which I think is a good idea, if that’s what it takes to have a dependable service.

1 Like

Hope this is good. Not sure.
I have only seen Guardrails used as guidelines on users of development platforms to keep them within the constraints of the platform.
I would have been much more ecstatic if the hire was from an area where we are having problems.
“Cloud” is supposed to be Elastic. It is supposed to scale. If the cloud scales and the underlying platform is sound, no problems. So which is the problem? Does his expertise align with that?

1 Like