This is my FUN little project to skip SONOS! And by Little, I mean the C.H.I.P $9 computer replacing a bulky useless SONOS.
My Project cost about $50 (GREAT DEAL)
SONOS Play 1 cost $199+S&H (NOT A GOOD DEAL)
What you will need for the project:
C.H.I.P $9 computer
- VLC Thing. A Poor Man’s Sonos Installed on your ST account and VLC player installed on your C.H.I.P $9 computer.
Big Talker - Talk when events occur (Release 1.1.3) For Text-to-Speach event trigger.
- USB Hub Powered (Don’t use unpowered USB Hub with CHIP)-CHIP is a low power computer!
- Bluetooh/BLE Keyboard/Mouse (Only one built in USB port)
- Bluetooth speaker
- 3M velcro tap
Step 1: Buy C.H.I.P $9 computer.
Step 2: Connect it to a monitor
Step 3: Connect the Powered USB hub to the USB port
Step 4: Connect your wired Keyboard/Mouse to the Powered USB hub
Step 5: Connect the C.H.I.P to USB-B power port and watch the C.H.I.P. come to life
IT’S ALIVE! Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Sorry…That was Dr. Frankenstein in me!
Step 6: C.H.I.P Steps:
- Use the built in Wi-Fi to connect to your home or office Wi-Fi
- Pair the Bluetooth wireless Keyboard/Mouse. (Recommend getting an All-in-One Keyboard from Amazon)
- Pair the Bluetooth Speaker with C.H.I.P $9 computer
- Open the Unbutu Terminal
- To install VLC on the C.H.I.P Type: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vlc
- To get the IP from the C.H.I.P, Type: ip addr
- Run the VLC player located in the Start menu -> Media Player folder
- Refer to this VLC Configuration document for steps
Step 7: Install VLC Thing on your SmartThings account.
Step 8: Install Bib Talker app in your SmartThings account.
- Installation BigTalker
- Login at http://graph.api.smartthings.com
- Go to “My SmartApps” section and click on the “+ New SmartApp” button on the right.
- On the “New SmartApp” page, Select the Tab “From Code” , Copy the BigTalker source code from GitHub (BigTalker.groovy) and paste it into the IDE editor window.
- Click the “Create” button at the bottom.
- Click the blue “Save” button above the editor window.
- Click the “Publish” button next to it and select “For Me”. You have now self-published your SmartApp.
- Open SmartThings mobile app and go to the Market Place (star burst icon).
- Press “SmartApps”
- Press “My Apps”
- “BigTalker” app should be available in the list of SmartApps that appears. Tap it.
- Android users have reported having to logout of the SmartThings app, closing it, and logging back in before new apps will show up.
- Tap Configure to start setting up your talking events. Setup as many or as few as you like, but try not to setup events that would fire rapidly back to back or they will conflict with each other.
Set up VLC for the VLC Remote - Linux
NB: These setup instructions are for VLC 2.1 or later. If you are using an earlier version of VLC, then please click here.
A) Enable the HTTP Interface
1)Open the VLC settings
2)Enable ‘All Settings’ (by default VLC only shows the most used settings)
-Click on the ‘All’ button at the bottom left of the screen win prefs
3)Enable the interface
-Click on Interface, then Main interfaces
-Select the ‘Web’ checkbox.
*This should show ‘http’ in the text box
B) Set your password
1)Click on the Lua icon on the left -Enter a password under Lua HTTP 2)The default password we use is 'vlcremote' if you use this password, then the remote will connect automatically without you needing to re-enter your password. 3)Change Port to 8080 as per VLC Thing recomendation. 4)Click save to save your preferences 5)Quit VLC and reopen it.
You are Done! Enjoy Your SmartThings Talking house!