Changing ZigBee channel

Just for posterity: Pairing a Hue bulb directly to ST when the Hub is on channel 14 is a death sentence for the bulb. The Hue hub has no channel 14 so if you pair onto 14 you cannot get back onto 11, 15, 20 or 25 on the Hue bridge.

It’s definitely an issue still. I have the Phillips hue hub to compare it to. Switching to channel 19 everything on the Phillips hub becomes 100% reliable. When on channel 20 reliability drops noticeably worse. It starts behaving like the smarthings does. This smartthings is locked to bad channel 20.

By the way channel 20 overlaps with wifi 7,8,9 & 10, but I know interference is not as likely an issue as subtle propagation characteristics within building materials. A difference between 12.236cm (20) and 12.261cm (19) can make all the difference when bouncing around Air conditioning vents, appliances and metal door frames.

Would love to know the latest on this. @duncan

Any news on this, 2 years later?

1 Like

I doubt this is going to happen, they don’t have the resources. They don’t even have time / resources to allow people to opt out of the LAN discovery or add modes in the mobile app. Wait, they had time to build an Apple Watch app? What?

It’s about acquiring new customers, not keeping existing customers happy as we have already given them all the money ware are going to give them (partly because their devices are overpriced and not as good as others).

They know there is no where else to go.

If they had a migration tool, I’d consider rolling the dice and just buying a new hub in hope that I would get a different zigbee channel.

any movement on this feature yet?

Hey Duncan,

What is RX sensitivity of the ZigBee radio in the hub ?

TIA

Duncan is a senior zwave engineer. I’d suggest asking @tyler or @tpmanley instead. :sunglasses:

Thanks JD roberts.
What is the RX sensitivity of the Zigbee radio in the hub ? @Tyler @tpmanley

How much longer will this take? I have a Philips Hue Hub and SmartThings on zigbee which creates severe interference for my Sonos System. This shouldn’t be so difficult… (not that I’m a firmware developer :))

The Phillips hue bridge (there is no “hue hub” device, so I assume you meant the bridge) allows you to change its zigbee channel whenever you want. :sunglasses:

1. Open the official Hue app

Two) choose “settings”

Three) choose hue bridges

Four) tap the little “I” next to the bridge that you want to change the channel of

1. you see the current zigbee channel down at the bottom of the screen. Tap on that and you will be able to

2. change to a different one.

Unfortunately, SmartThings does not offer a similar utility.

Thanks JD, I always appreciate seeing your helpful posts! However, in this case the problem is that my “adopted” ST bridge Zigbee ID overlaps my primary SonosNet (WiFi) channel ID. I can’t move my SonosNet channel ID because it will directly conflict with my WiFi Router’s 2.4 Ghz channel ID. Hue Bridge is not the culprit here, instead it is the inability to move the ST Zigbee channel to a higher non-conflicting (non-overlapping) channel.

The only remedy I have identified thus far is to hard wire (ethernet) my Sonos speakers so they don’t have to compete for wireless bandwidth. I have scoured the Sonos forums for a resolution as well, but few seem to have HA Systems that use Zigbee.

Below is my configuration:

WiFi Router 2.4 Ghz Channel: No. 1
SonosNet 2.4 Ghz Channel: No. 6
SmartThings ZigBee Channel: No. 14
Philips Hue Bridge ZigBee Channel: No. 25

Credit: https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/203845040-ZigBee-and-WiFi-Coexistence

It appears that WiFi Channels 1 and ZigBee Channel 14 overlap enough to create interference for SonosNet.

Any further thoughts are welcome! Thanks again!

If you have a V2 smartthings hub and you are willing to completely rebuild your entire account, you can change the zigbee channel. But you don’t get to pick with the new channel will be, so you may have to go through the process a couple of times. And you should probably get support involved as well.

If you have a V1 hub you’re out of luck, though.

Basically if you completely reset your smartthings hub to factory settings it will go through the process to pick a channel when you set it up the next time. But it might pick the same channel again, you can’t be sure. However, it will try to avoid interference if it can, although I don’t know how good that algorithm is. When you get a channel that you like, then you add all your devices back in and set everything up again.

It’s a lot of work, but it is something that is possible with the V2 hub that was not possible with the V1. Or so @slagle has said. :sunglasses:

@tpmanley might be able to confirm.

Well… I did ask for an alternative… :flushed:

Yes, it is an ST V2 Hub.

I will just have to keep my speakers hard wired for now. I just rebuilt my system from scratch 1 week ago and don’t know if I can stomach it again. It would be SOOOOO much easier if ST would simply allow us to decide which channel is best for our own needs.

The problem with the stock ST algorithm is that conditions can rapidly change if neighbors get new routing equipment (auto-select channel ID), therefore; affecting our home setup. From what I can tell, ST doesn’t even compensate for interference except during initial setup time. Users can’t afford (the time) to completely rebuild a system if this occurs and is needed.

Thank you sir!!!
tagging: @slagle @tpmanley

1 Like

Hi I am a newbie to all this networking and changing channels. is one channel has stronger connection than the other ? if so what are the best channels for wifi and smartthings. my smartthings hub is on 24 now. i can reset it since i havent added any device yet. I have Verizon Fios Quantum router.

It’s not about one being stronger than another for everyone: it’s about what is already active at your own building so you can figure out which channel will have the least interference. See the following FAQs for more discussion ( these are clickable links)

It’s a good thing the Hubitat developers are on the ball with this one!

2 Likes

Any updates on this? Would be nice to be able to change the zigbee channel. I am having issues with mine devices drop out randomly. We have the option to change our own wifi which works if you live in some tiny town. But if you live in a populated area it could be all your neighbors drowning out your zigbee channel.

I’ve avoided zigbee for this reason and chose Zwave. But there are some devices I cant get in Zwave

1 Like

When I was using Smartthings I asked support to change the channel and after a while and some back and forth they did change it without having to set anything back up but it is stupid you can’t do it yourself.

I just asked support and this is the response i got.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Samsung SmartThing Support.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and apologize for the inconvenience.

I would like to let you know that the WiFi and the ZigBee network use the Same frequency to communicate. There is no way to change the channel of the hub from our end. The hub automatically picks the ideal channel for the network environment that is currently in place. The Hub automatically changes the channel itself to avoid interference with that specific radio wave.

Thank you for your valuable time and patience.

If you have any queries feel free to reach out to us. We’ll be glad to assist you.

Stay Home & Stay Safe.

Thank you for choosing Samsung.

Regards,
Subrahmanyam
Samsung SmartThings Support

1 Like