CES 2018 News

I have 3 occupancy switches, all work during daytime, bathroom with no windows - did have a window when installed but a re-mod eliminated it. Garage - I want it to work anytime, and a stairwell - same way.

Now some might, or not work and sense ambient, but even if they did I want the light and not need to require on the possibility of flakiness and not working.

No outside light, yes you want it.
I also have it all time active in basement, garage and stairwell.

I eliminated it also, but installed a skylight. Much better.

Cā€™m on, guys, cut me a breakā€“I obviously meant ā€œdaytimeā€ as in daylight (lux levels above 1,000 or so) vs " day" as in time between sunrise and sunset.

Even occupancy lights in commercial buildings donā€™t typically have them set to come on if the room is already bright.

If the area of the building is always dark unless the motion activated light is on, then obviously the time of day doesnā€™t matter and you donā€™t need a built-in Light sensor.

But weā€™re talking about standard residential lighting switches for standard residential rooms like Living rooms and bedrooms. And almost all of those have a lux sensor so that the switch will not be activated if the room is already bright enough.

Given the devices weā€™re discussing, all of that context should be clear. If it wasnā€™t, I apologize, but sometimes when youā€™re talking about specific devices they do come with some context.

Submitted with respect. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Weā€™re aiming for late spring / early summer of 2018. Weā€™ll be sure to announce it on social media and here as soon as we have the release date.

1 Like

Please realize, most of us like the features that the new ZooZ motion switch offers. Some are extremely useful, while others are just marketecture. I am not stating that the GE/Jasco products are the best in the market, but I believe it is the bare for which many other switches are contrasted to. Some may blast me and say Lutron and other brands, but for something that just works, priced fairly well, and offers many different configurations, GE is hard to beat. For your knowledge, because I like what you offer and occasionally buy items from your website, I can get the GE switches for the same price as Zooz, if I purchase them as a LIke New Open Box, form Amazon.

I recently learned that all Zooz Zwave switches donā€™t require an Add-On switch for 3 way configurations, which I think is genius. This is a definite plus when compared to all other brands. I just wish they didnā€™t put their logo on the paddle, otherwise I would have upgraded most of my Zwave Plus switches to Zooz over GE.

S2 Security standard isnā€™t specific to Zooz, but rather it is a requirement for device manufacturers to incorporate on Zwave Plus devices certified after April 2017. This is a nice feature over the GE, since GEā€™s motion switch was certified on 12/2016. @JDRoberts provided a post on this, which I provided the link below. Please realize that in order for this framework to exist, you need the SmartThings hub to have the ability to decrypt the connection, which it doesnā€™t do today. I assume this will be included in V3 of the ST hub. https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1493/pics

https://z-wavealliance.org/mandatory-security-implementation-z-wave-certified-iot-devices-takes-effect-today/
Video explaining it all: https://www.digikey.com/en/videos/s/sigma-designs/zwave-s2-security-technical-audience-focus

Zwave and Zwave Plus donā€™t offer significant difference in security (AES-128 Encripytion). I donā€™t think someone who wants to break into your house is going to sit in your driveway or backyard with a computer to do so, when they can hack your environment a lot quicker leveraging an exploit on one of your other devices.

Ultimately, Zooz products will always need greater features to compete in a very crowded space. They are being innovative in many ways, but please donā€™t confuse their innovation with their ability to have a higher price point, especially when they have already been set expectations with their previously released products. Isnā€™t Capitalism grandā€¦ :crazy_face:

1 Like

Interesting to see 700 series release so soon. I wonder how soon devices manufacturers will take to leverage this new chipset, especially since many have just upgraded to Zwave Plusā€¦

Thanks for the feedback!

The logo has already been removed and weā€™ll be updating the images shortly to reflect that change.

Amazon probably still has some of the ones with the logo on it but if you get in touch with our team and order directly from us, weā€™ll make sure you receive the version without the logo on the paddles:

3 Likes

Itā€™s not actually a ā€œreleaseā€ yet ā€“ ā€“ itā€™s just an announcement. I donā€™t expect to see any devices with that chipset before mid 2019. But there will be some manufacturers who adopt it pretty quickly because it has smartsetup built in.

One of the top Zwave bloggers, Eric Ryherd (Dr. Zwave) says he expects the development kits to be released this summer:

The big announcement for Sigma (other than the acquisition by Silicon Labs) is the announcement of the 700 series. Unfortunately details remain shrouded in secrecy but Sigma has put a stake in the ground of having developers kits by summer 2018. Finally having a real 32 bit ARM processor will be a huge productivity improvement for us IoT developers.

I apologize, i was not clear. I understand that Nest works with a lot of third party devices. They absolutely have reason to integrate with heaters or cars even (and other devices), that way when you are driving home your Nest Thermostat can turn up the heat or cool down your house for you. These are wonderful and add value to their existing line up of devices and of course their alarm system.

I was specifically talking about Nest adding more integration with other home alarm systems ā€“ like SmartThings and other alarm systems. If they add value to other systems, itā€™s almost hurting their ecosystem and giving people choices. Nest wants you to choose their alarm systems.

Also, I wouldnā€™t expect them to cancel existing relationships like they have with ADT or Abode. That also would be anti-consumer, because they have sold those customerā€™s a product and they expect to be able to continue using the product using the ā€œone app experienceā€ they are currently enjoying.