CES 2015 New Stuff

It’s all right there on the first page:

#NETGEAR and CEO Patrick Lo want #ArloSmartHome to be your connected home hub: http://bit.ly/1BQhSyo via @TheStreet https://twitter.com/ArloSmartHome/status/553710317167845376/photo/1

1 Like

I’ve been watching this one for a couple months. No sign of an API or IFTTT channel. Homeboy’s wire-free cameras at least have IFTTT that works fairly well with ST. And they offer 30 days unlimited video archive vs Arlo’s very little. Also, via IFTTT you can have your Homeboy video automatically copy to Google Drive or other cloud. I can’t see Arlo as useful unless they open things up.

Just in case a few of you haven’t see this post by @Ben

1 Like

Really interesting Q&A with @alex by CNET. Talks about the premium service a bit more, about the standard for open, about Homekit briefly (they consider hub2.0 as homekit compliant), etc… Still vague on details in all cases, but a good read.

We hope this will make integrations much easier with Bluetooth devices. That said there will a mesh standard emerging (and hopefully a part of hub v2) that will allow bluetooth to have longer ranged.

With regards to August specifically, they are also working on a wi-fi bridge that we plan to incorporate. Heck it may be done prior to April if they get it to us soon.

1 Like

Somfy has both a Z-Wave and ZigBee controller module. So far we have only worked with the Z-Wave version. More work is needed on it to get it more fully featured.

SMS will almost certainly be curtailed in the free service and is the ONLY feature I know of that is in the current free product that will not be in the future. As others have pointed out. It is essential to get better account management in place prior to this change.

3 Likes

:frowning: Any chance of replacing SMS with e-mail notifications?

7 Likes

@Ben is back from CES! I hope he got his beauty rest…he has a lot of posts to catch up on! We were all very busy while you were away working. :smile:

1 Like

Will this also affect push notifications as well? Or do you think they will still be available?

Just seeing if I can guess the answer:

From my understanding of the CES announcements, notifications to your “own” phones/accounts are a standard feature. However, notifications to neighbors, family, central monitoring, etc., are a Premium Feature. Let’s see if I understood that correctly…

Not replacing but we want to add email as a notification option. Roadmap.

3 Likes

Yes so many posts. Don’t you people work or watch tv or anything? :anguished:

And for all of you. Something from 2 CES’s ago. :urman:

5 Likes

Push notifications will not be affective. Heck - I am not even 100% sure how SMS will be handled. Will you get an allotment in the free service? How many? So many things to work out in a couple months.

2 Likes

That could be the way it goes, Terry. Thanks. More soon. @Alex and Jeff will even join for an upcoming developer discussion. .

2 Likes

I’m gone for like 3 weeks and you delete my emoticon already? low blow.

@urman did you see the link to the arlo cameras above? Will these be included in the netgear integration announced at CES? I need to install cameras in the next two weeks and would like to know which ones are the best.

@jodyalbritton I don’t think I did see those cameras. I’m not sure what specific models they chose for launch are.

@urman or should we start calling you tacoman?

Best seller on Amazon right now:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ziVbEZ8-L.AA160.jpg
Reviews aren’t stellar.

Be careful with battery life. It uses 4 CR123 and the battery life is claimed as 4-6 months for 4 minutes per day of low quality (recommended use case). For 24/7 HD, it’d be a couple days. One user on Amazon reported 86% drain in a day.

1 Like