Ceiling fan controller?

I’ve been through this exact journey recently. With Vera you can use the Insteon Fanlinc, but there are some reliability issues in the reviews. But with ST, I’ve heard there are no plans for Insteon support. INSTEON support - trying to start a central thread for request.

I thought $130 was pretty steep for the Leviton, but it’s the only game in town. I’d be surprised if the Zigbee/Control4 is less expensive. And you can only get Control4 through dealers, correct?

As far as I can tell, assuming you only have a single set of wires to your fan, your ST options in descending order of cost are:

1. Run new wire for light control, use Leviton VRF01-1LZ fan control + Z-wave dimmer switch for light
  2. Wire only fan control to Leviton VRF01-1LZ, use Aeon Labs DSC27103-ZWUS in canopy for light dimming via remote; theoretical, not certain it will work, need local hot wire
  3. Wire only fan control to Leviton VRF01-1LZ, ignore light (my fans have aluminum caps to cap off the light)

I was going to go with #3 and cap off my lights, but a few of my bedrooms are pretty dark with just four 3" can lights each. I did get a couple of the Aeon Labs dimmers to play with; I may have my electrician try wiring it into the canopy and use the Aeon Labs mini motes to control the fan and light.

2 Likes