Capturing Logitech Harmony Hub Off and On?

I would like to be able to turn off and on other devices in my house based on my AV setup being turned off and on. I wanted to see if there is a way to capture my Logitech Harmony Hub is turned off or on so that I can use something like WebCore to perform other actions.

Since the Harmony activities are just regular switches to ST, then yes, you can use webCoRE or other smart apps to trigger whatever you like.

For instant updates of the Harmony activities in ST, add the ST equivalent switch, under home control in the Harmony App, to mirror the On/Off status of the activity.

For Example:

Harmony Activity=Watch TV
SmartThings Switch=Watch TV

The ST Switch will come up under home control once you select it as a home control device in the Harmony setup for ST.

In the activity (Watch TV), select a home device to control after the activity starts…(ST Switch Watch TV)…On when on and Off when off.

1 Like

Is there a device handler or something that I need to do in order to link my harmony activities to smart things as you described?

This will get you started…

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-smartthings

the faq may help get you started:

These posts might be of help as well:

1 Like

So I played around a bit with the harmony integration and didn’t find how I can do the following:

I want to be able to turn off some ambient lighting that is powered by a z-wave plug based on when I turn off the tv connected to my harmony hub. I would like for the lighting to be shutoff if my tv is powered off. The problem that I see in webcore is that the harmony activities are not showing up as physical or virtual devices.

Thoughts?

There’s a couple of ways of achieving this without having to use webCoRE (not that I’m opposed to webCoRE at all, but I know how to do it via local processing through smart lighting).

First, if you added the Harmony integration, you should see all your activities as things in the My Home/Things page in ST. If you don’t see them there, then you need to go into Automation/Smart Apps/Logitech Harmony (Connect) app and select your Harmony Hub(s) and Activities and click on Save. Once you do that, you should see your activities in Things.

Once your activities are set up as things, go into Automation/Smart Apps/Smart Lighting and select New Lighting Automation. In there, choose the z-wave plug as the lights you want to control. In Select trigger, select Switch. Then, in Which switch, select your Harmony activity (mine is called Living Room TV, for instance). Leave everything else as default (Turn on lights when set as Turned on and Turn off as well).

Now, when you turn on the Harmony activity, the z-wave plug will be switched on as well and will shut off when the activity shuts off.

The other way to accomplish this is on the Harmony side of things. You can add your ST devices into your Harmony app and then add turning on and off lights and devices directly in your Activity. While this approach takes the opposite route, there are two problems. One, the Harmony app SUCKS. Like really, truly, horribly sucks. Secondly, you don’t have the same level of control that you do in ST. But, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point it out.

1 Like