Can we get a clear answer? Does V2 support Apple HomeKit

Trying to make some decisions about what I will and will not invest in.

1 Like

Clear Answer: No

The current hub/platform does not support Homekit. But neither does 99% of the smart home tech on the market. Apple does not even fully support Homekit yet.

I suspect they (ST Marketing) would say that their direction will be to have an “open platform” for Apple HomeKit and other vendors. You can disassemble this double speak to mean, if Apple {or others} want to create an SmartThings API to integrate, ST has these documented. :dizzy_face:

NO uppercase, buddy!

1 Like

HomeKit does not exist in the real world (except Apple mind warp field). Don’t base any decision on HomeKit compatibility.

One of the main things people were excited about with HomeKit hot air, would be the ability to use Siri to control your home. You can do that now with Amazon’s Echo integrated with SmartThings. I can say out loud, “Alexa, turn on patio fan”, or “Alexa, tell the house to say Goodnight”. It will be a very long time before you can do that with HomeKit.

4 Likes

That’s not true. My Ecobee3 has homekit compatibility and it’s completely worthless.

1 Like

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Clear? :wink:

2 Likes

Does V2 support Apple HomeKit

I think the question should be “is Apple HomeKit going to support SmartThings?” :smile:

4 Likes

Apple is stepping up their game.

Just because homekit is not supported, does not mean the 2 can’t be made to work together. It is one of the advantages of Smartthings. If you are geek enough this will work, but ST will not be able to support this endeavor.

1 Like

I do agree that HomeKit is too closed off to be practical, but I’m still hoping.

I can say out loud, “Alexa, turn on patio fan”, or “Alexa, tell the house to say Goodnight”. It will be a very long time before you can do that with HomeKit.

As to your other point, actually, HomeKit already does support this through scenes. Simply say “Good night” and that scene executes. I have that specific scene turning my television off, Hue lights off and locking my doors.

Edit: As JDRoberts pointed out just after this post, bravenel’s post was from six months ago, before iOS 9 went GA which is when Apple released the Scenes feature. That said, I’m glad that it did not in fact take “a very long time” before the feature was released. :slight_smile:

Not sure you noticed, but you responded to a post from more than six months ago. At the time it was written, HomeKit did not yet have scenes; they came in with iOS 9.

As you mentioned, this functionality is now available, although we still don’t have battery-powered sensors that can act as HomeKit triggers. :cry:

Well put, JDRoberts! I did not notice that this was from six months ago. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Most threads in this forum are much more active, but SmartThings was one of many companies which essentially put thoughts of HomeKit compatibility on hold after the very strict hardware requirements finally clarified… At that point the topic understandably became of less interest to this community, in part because there is such a powerful echo integration available.

Like you, I still have hope that HomeKit will eventually prove more useful then is today. The form factor for the ConnectSense pocket socket, for example, is great. But it’s just not there yet as an ecosystem.