Can I use the USB port on v3 hub for power loss?

I have the Amazon battery backup device and it has a USB output. When power fails it kicks to battery and indicates loss via the USB cable. I’d like to just plug that USB cable into the v3 hub. But how to I use that port to signal something?

The USB ports on the smartthings hubs are not activated, you can’t use them for anything at the present time.

1 Like

Thank u.
Do u have a solution for a power loss detection?

Todd
650-346-6718

Power loss detection for what? If it’s the hub, you will get a notification when the cloud cannot reach it.

So I added battery backup to the hub and wifi. Incase people cut power to our house and then break in.
I’d like to get notified that the main power has been lost to the house.

Here are some ideas. I used a Monoprice Contact Sensor KFR-ZD2105US-5, 2N2222 transistor, 220 ohm resistor and a old USB cord.

1 Like

OK, people have done it several different ways, most commonly, as @Jason_brown Mentioned, using a failover device.

You can see the various project reports on this by looking in the community-created wiki, looking down to the bottom of the page for the “project reports“ section and then choosing the list on “power.“

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

1 Like

My google wifi router, sends me a notice on my phone, when the power is lost.

Hi
Yes mine too .
I would like to have that notification be actionable in smarthings.as. my router etc is still on battery backup so I could take some actions.
Amd also know when power comes back on.

Todd
650-346-6718