Can I program outlet to turn on and off every four hours?

I have something I need to turn on every 4 hours, let run for 15 minutes, and then turn off (repeating every 4 hours). Can I do this with the Samsung SmartThings Outlet?

Thanks.

Kenny

The switch by itself can’t be programmed at all. You need the smartthings hub to be the brains. But assuming that’s what you meant…

Sure, we’ve discussed this kind of thing in the past. There are multiple ways to do it.

At this point the most direct way would be to use core, although set up for that can be complex. But there are plenty of community members to help you.

Alternatively, you can use virtual timers and a daisychain, we had somebody with a pool pump who did exactly this. I’d have to find the thread for you but if you have any programming background I would look at core first. It will give you more options in the long run.

OK, here are a couple of threads describing daisy-chains. And the how to article in the community – created wiki on creating a virtual timer. But I would still go with core first. The daisychain will work, but it’s much clunkier.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_a_virtual_timer_for_a_light

Thanks for all the info. I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be simpler (and possibly more reliable given local processing) to just use 6 Smart Lighting automations?

On at midnight, off at 12:15
On at 4am, off at 4:15
etc.

2 Likes

Checkout “Smart Home Ventilation” SmartApp under Lights & Switches in the Marketplace.
Sounds like it would work for your need.
I have a similar scenario where i have a plug-in AirWick air freshener that’s too strong if plugged in constantly so i had it set to turn on every 15 mins for every hour. Works great!

1 Like

Thanks. I look forward to trying these ideas out.

1 Like