Hi everyone! I’m quite torn on what to do. I ordered a package on Amazon and I’m anxiously awaiting getting starting with Smartthings, but now I’m seeing that V2.0 is due out roughly soon-ish. I’m hesistent to be the last on line to buy version 1 with what appears to be a worthwhile upgrade around the corner.
I’m particularly happy that they’re moving to cloud-free, or at least not cloud-mandatory option, less so for security concerns and more so because I’ve seen lag being an issue for some people (which I suppose is to be expected when a signal has to travel 5000 miles from my couch to my lamp). I’m not new to home automation, but I have taken a roughly 8 year break from having anything set up, and I’m really excited to tinker with the new technology and see where the industry has gone this decade. I’ve done some coding in my life so I’m not terrified of the platform, but I do wonder if version two will launch with an upgraded app/software, and possibly a native rules editor so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time I want a button to turn on my coffee machine. If there is a new software version, I suppose it will apply to V1 owners anyway, or the whole thing will reek of planned obsolescence, unless it is really specific to the local nature and a step far away from cloud based signals.
I did do some lurking before I signed up, but was curious if this vibrant community had any guesses on a release day, and what you would do as an adopter at this point in development. My current plan is toy with it for the 30 days I have, see if any new release date is given, and make the call on returning it when I’m under more pressure to do so. That, or fall in love with it, or possibly send it back this week in a fit of frustration!