Bluetooth activation/roadmap

The obvious conclusion is that there is a hardware fault and it would never work on the hub v2.0. Rather than open the facility only to find that it does not work for large numbers of users and realise everyone wants a replacement unit, they have chosen not to activate it.

Certainly could be the case!

Or, perhaps it simply isnā€™t a marketing priority with a limited engineering staff already overloaded. Who knows? :thinking:

2 Likes

I have no idea one way or the other why they havenā€™t activated it yet, but I did want to say that itā€™s actually quite hard to have multiple radios in the same band in the same box. They can create a lot of interference for each other. So putting a zigbee radio right next to a Bluetooth radio and have both successfully receive all their messages just isnā€™t that easy.

Iris, for example, has had a Bluetooth radio in their hub for over two years, and they only use it when pairing the hub itself.

Wink had a similar set up until late 2016 when they finally allowed one single brand/model of Bluetooth device to be paired, a beta integration with the Switchmate on/off switch. And speaking from personal experience, while it works, itā€™s flaky and you often have to send the same request two or three times before it gets through. :disappointed_relieved:

So in this particular case, I give SmartThings a pass on having Bluetooth integration. It is hard. Where they are to be faulted is in announcing they would have Bluetooth in the V2 hub.

6 Likes

ā€¦ and not just coming out and saying officially that it now wonā€™t happen.

5 Likes

As far as I am concerned, SmartThings sold the V2 hub using Bluetooth as a advertising point. So many people thought that it was activated, or going to be shortly. It is like buying a car that has power steering and when you get it the dealer says someday, maybe it will be turned on. This is Not what I expect from Samsung, or any big corporation. Give us what was told was a feature!

2 Likes

With respect, itā€™s a dead horse at this point. We should all let it RIP.

2 Likes

OK, thatā€™s fair. But they also sold that 2016 line of televisions with promise of a SmartThings hub dongle andā€¦

Thereā€™s a pattern here and it isnā€™t isolated to just Samsung. They all do it.

So not to be disappointed, perhaps consumers should wise up & only buy equipment based on what it does at the time of sale. Any post-sale improvements are a bonus. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

That assumption is not adequate, as you donā€™t know until you get home. Unless the TV or appliance is fully functional on display, then it is impossible. I have a Samsung TV and it says something is included, and go into settings the item is there, leading me to think OK it is working, but when I couldnā€™t get it to work and called support, it isnā€™t activated.

4 Likes

I hear you, Joel! Our TV is an older Samsung LED model with a ā€˜Samsungā€™ logo front & center that blinks all the time. There is a setting to turn it off buried in the setup menu ā€“ that doesnā€™t work! Drives us nuts!

Long of the short of it: weā€™re screwed! There is plenty about this issue on the web, there is no firmware update to fix it, and nobody at Samsung cares a bit: no maintenance for older gear. :frowning:

Think I would recommend a Samsung television to anyone?

At least I can cover the blinking logo with black tape! :laughing::joy::joy::joy:

When Nest had to remove their wave to dismiss feature from their Gen2 (I think) smoke detectors, they lower the price from $129 to $99 AND sent everyone a check for $30 per detector.

2 Likes

is @alex or @slagle able to comment at all on this post? some glimmer of hope or destruction to Bluetooth?

It is coming?
Its not coming?
V3?
Additional module?
SOMETHINGā€¦ PLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSEEEEE

xXx

1 Like

https://g.co/kgs/C5dniK

5 Likes

Iā€™d lean towards this route as Iā€™m sure they get plenty of support inquiries just for the radios and integration they have now. Adding a whole means to connect would surely load them up with more support request on a new front. Plus there arenā€™t anywhere near the device supported on BT vs the other forms. So itā€™s a lot of work for little payoff when looked at from a project point of view for resources. What is really needed here is someone to develop a Bluetooth to ZWave / Ziggee adapter thats say open source for some skilled developers to attack. Seems as if this connection is really needed we might see people already doing this with rPi or some other maker means.

The other option could be itā€™s a Hub V3 selling point when it comes out (never mind it was a V2 selling point as it would be implemented on the V3). Itā€™s like iPhone releases, Apple loves to have new functionality which doesnā€™t work on the previous gen ie Siri when it came out but when you jailbroke your phone oh wow look Siri works just fine on my older phone.

1 Like

Really doubt it. My speculation for a long time is @alex may only be a figurehead waiting out his contract ā€“ if he is there at all. Heā€™s been notoriously absent from these forums for, what? Maybe a year? And that was after he promised ā€œweekly updatesā€ and suddenly disappeared.

Edit: Last Post Jul 24, '16, Seen Sep 4, '16

@slagle is still active on the forums, albeit not as much as before due to additional assignments.

It also seems like thereā€™s been a directive from on high for staff not to reveal the (changing) roadmap or speculate on what is coming and when. This is a cultural shift not uncommon when a startup becomes a ā€œrealā€ company. Or gets absorbed by a larger entity, in this case Samsung.

It would be a career limiting move for staff to comment on the roadmap after being specifically instructed not to.

YMMV, but thatā€™s been my experience in the industryā€¦ :neutral_face:

6 Likes

You are probably right, but if you donā€™t askā€¦

Even a comment to say I canā€™t comment would be good. least we know its acknowledged. Surely SmartThings see that the community want this feature and if its asked for enough then surely its a point people want and should be a higher priority to add a great selling point.

Bar a few niggles with the solution this is really all that I really want. Most other things the community provide so working on other ZigBee and Z-Wave handlers and devices seems a bit pointless.

As stated if a beta was released for it so its selective while it is not working reliably then they would have the entire community working on integration giving them a HUGE helping hand. Iā€™m sure many here would be willing to help with this.

We are trying to help them progress for our benefit. hopefully @smartthings_support or @slagle will at least respond how ever basic.

1 Like

It looks like v3 hub has Bluetooth. https://smarthouseresource.com/2017/08/24/a-new-samsung-smartthings-hub-is-on-the-way-will-feature-touchscreen-bluetooth-and-voice-control/

1 Like

@tyler provided an update on Bluetooth in another thread:

4 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s an upcoming device. Samsung Will post concept documents in the early stages of development, and it looks to me like thatā€™s what that website got a hold of and they assumed it was a leak of a real future device. My guess would be instead that that is something from the early stages of development for the existing ā€œSamsung connect.ā€ This is being discussed in another thread:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious. That device is definitely real, however itā€™s 2 years old and was used in a trial in Asia. We had minimal involvement.

Itā€™s not hub v3 and itā€™ll never see the light of day in North America.

12 Likes

No chip requirement needed for Homekit authā€¦ Letā€™s get an integration going!

2 Likes