Blink: wifi camera/motion sensor on Kickstarter

It resets in 2 minutes, any shorter and it may lead to multiple to alarm events due to the way blink currently works

You don’t need to do that, if you want to reset the intruder alert just click on the intruder alert tile and it’ll disable it

That’s because of the ST timer issues, the app sets a timer to turn off the notification in 2 minutes so if the timer fails to fire it won’t turn off automatically. If you’re seeing this issue you should report it to ST support so they can fix the timer issue with your instance. Hopefully the new ST scheduler being deployed in the next few weeks should address it.
Meanwhile, just click on the motion detection tile to reset it.

Do you have any information about using the cameras as a regular motion sensor w/o it taking a video every time and getting a Blink notification? Or is that not a possibility at this time?

Not yet, it’s a feature being discussed with the blink team but please send in your feedback to the blink support team on their website so they can log requests which will help in expediting things.

Thanks for the suggestion, done!!

Maybe the ability to do this would increase the popularity of the device… as long as it doesn’t “SHM” the whole blink system of course…

I have found Routines and SHM to be very unreliable and am using the Smart Lights SmartApp with RBoy’s app to manage my Blink cameras as individual switches with my presence. It has been extremely reliable and triggers within 30 seconds (See images). I’m hoping that the motion sensor will eventually work separate from the video and also trigger lights quicker so that I can get rid of my other motion sensors. RBoy, great job with the Blink app makes me want to try some of your other apps.

2 Likes

Thanks and please send in your requests to the blink support team so they tally the requests.
Part of the ongoing discussions with the blink team is eventually look at Blink as a replacement for motion sensors.

Hi Blink Backer,
We have told you that it was coming, and we are excited to announce that it is finally here!!
As promised, starting today (March 24) through March 31 we are offering a special backer-only discount on Blink systems and add-on cameras!
To receive $30 off each Blink Home Monitoring System (any size), go here and use promo code KSDISCOUNT30 at checkout.
To receive $10 off each Blink Add-On Camera, go here and use promo code KSDISCOUNT10 at checkout.
Act now to get that extra camera or two you’ve been waiting for, or to buy a system for those friends and family who have grown jealous of your new peace of mind. Don’t miss out, order today!
Best,
The Blink Team
Orders are subject to local taxes.

You’ve made this comment to me before (maybe in the other thread). But tapping that intruder tile actually turns the camera off as well (i.e. it doesn’t just get rid of the intruder message). Obviously I can turn it back on, but is that the expected behavior? Or am I missing something?

1 Like

That is correct, it turns it off to disable the alert (not just reset it). But it’s food for thought, would love to get some comments from the community on how it should behave.
Clicking the tile when in intruder alert state should

1. Turn off the motion detection and disable the alert
  2. Just disable the alert and leave motion detection on

Normally I’d feel bad using those codes since I’m not a Kickstarter backer, but did they happen to come from this update? Since I’m not a backer I just get the “For backers only. If you’re a backer of this project, please log in to read this post.” message. I’m more curious in the update than the $10 off promo code (though I could use one or two more cameras).

However, I’m also a bit annoyed at them because I bought and own the cameras–that pretty much makes me a backer now, right? :slight_smile: Kickerstarters already got their perks (cheaper cams), so give me the updates at least!

I could potentially see a use for a separate alarm/intruder tile or for option #2, but for the most part SmartThings should just work correctly so that it goes away reliably after two minutes like designed. :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t have any of the alarm features of your app enabled–so I’d prefer to never even see the intruder message unless I enable an alarm. Maybe the “Silent Alarm” toggle should do that? Actually, I just noticed I didn’t have that enabled, so for all I know, it already does.

1 Like

Working on getting a deal for ST users…

3 Likes

I agree with you, and this is the fact. Their product is good. But their delivery of their campaign and of the product to backers Sucks.

I got this Promo codes from my Kickstarter e-mail. The link for it is: Here

Just use the codes I posted, just checked and they still work on my link.

The $10 off was sent to email subscribers as well, I received it and I hadn’t bought any yet

Ooo! Do you mean like something better than the current 30% off for backers?

Review coming soon. I was send defective hardware and got my replacement equipment

1 Like

Curious, what was the “defect”?

The sync hub

One of my friends got a Fisheye view on one of the cameras from Blink. They just RMA a replacement too. Blink is good that way. Thanks for the update @Ryan_Guinn.

1 Like

Company has been good the tech said they are having to replace a lot of hardware so there been delays but nothing to bad.

I have the 5 cam system I’ll attach photo and a video if I can so you can see it