Better (different) Thermostat Device

Hah Ben! Here we go Betamax and VHS all over again :slight_smile:
Yeah itā€™s crazy to think 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling is easy, tee hee, 32 and 212 make much more sense. Seriously though, the gradient is better for accuracy in F if you are limited to integer math.

1 Like

I just updated my Zwave Thermostat device to this Better Thermostat! Much easier to use! Thank you!!

I thought you might enjoy the following that happened to me today, leading me to re-install an old Trane Zwave Thermostat ā€¦

So itā€™s starting to get cold here in Michigan and after hearing several days of whining about how cold it is in the house, I finally broke and agreed to turn on the furnace. I go to my fancy $279 Lyric thermostat this afternoon to turn on the heat, and the furnace wonā€™t kick in. After several hours on an online chat with Honeywell customer service, we end up finding out that the terminal block connection for the ā€œWā€ wire was bad. To confirm they asked if I had another thermostat to install until they got me the replacement wall plate. I had an old Trane Zwave thermostat from my previous home, so I hooked that up.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized with the Zwave Thermostat SmartThings smart app, I can pretty much do exactly what I was doing with my Lyric ā€¦ change the temp based on whether or not Iā€™m at home. Iā€™m now thinking when they get me the new wall plate, I might just put the Lyric up on eBay and keep the Trane Zwave installed with my new SmartThings system.

Thatā€™s so cool. Itā€™s awesome when users (us) post real world trials and tribulations. Hopefully others will see it before going through the same efforts.

Good feedback, keep it up!

Any updates on a Nest version of this? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also getting random reports of Celsius temps being reportedā€¦is this normal?
e.g. upstairs thermostat temperature is 79F, then 8 mins later itā€™ll say upstairs thermostat temperature is 61C, then upstairs thermostat temperature is 79F

What kind of thermostats do you have? And are you running ST in F or C?

I got 2 of these Current Innovations Z-wave Touchscreen Thermostat Model CI300EZ for $85 each on Amazon. They have been great for me for about 4 months. I canā€™t imagine the need for pricier fancier thermostats since I control everything from Smartthingsan d I would imagine that I would be doing the same things with a $250 thermostat that I am doing with an $85 one. I am using Better Thermostat and everything works fine in F. I run the thermostat of the temperatures on motion sensors not the thermostat temperature. My only issue is the delay in raising or lowering temeratures between the app and the thermostat. I also have to refresh the app occasionally to get the temperature updated.

@wackware, I have trane TZEMT Thermostats. Iā€™m running them in F.

@liemydude
Do you have the same make/model thermostat downstairs? If so, is it reporting correctly?

Hey @wackware, thanks for this! I used your thermostat device to create a virtual version for controlling my window AC and floor fans. Iā€™ve noticed for the mode and fan mode that they seem to rely on the device activity feed for knowing the current state. If it has been some time since changing the thermo mode and opening the activity log in the app the states will be wrong. Once I pull up the log and load a few pages of it and go back to the device it will show the correct states.

Is this to do with the device being virtual, has anyone else seen this behavior from any devices?

For a virtual device some code changes are needed. Look at my better Dimmer and better virtual dimmer for an idea of what Iā€™m talking about.
HTH

Thanks so much, I think Iā€™ve got it working now!

Awesome! Success is fun.

Please help a desperate fellow member here. Does CT100 work with baseboard hydronic heating? Weil Mclainā€™s CGA gold furnace and A.C.Smith heater. Two zoned with White Rodgers thermostats (with one red and one white wire and battery).

Well, I was excited to try this, as I hated the slidersā€¦but with the delay in the buttons, itā€™s almost worse.

To the authorā€™s credit, I tried everything I could think of to queue button clicks and allow for rapid temperature changes, but device types are VERY limitedā€¦ there do not seem to be any timer or scheduling functions allowed that will do the job.

What I might do is take the default thermostat, and put much narrower ranges on the sliders to make them easier to move. EDIT: This is also impossible. :frowning:

As you said this delay is not the app, itā€™s the thermostat API. Even the Radio Thermostat app for me is sometimes not as responseful as Iā€™d like.

The thermostat api delay really shouldnā€™t be an issue. We could eliminate that delay to just one instance if there was a way to queue the button clicks before sending a command.

For example, you could press arrow up 4 times, and then when the code sensed that you hadnā€™t pressed anything for a second or so, it would send the command to set the new temp. Unfortunately there are not sufficient commands available for device type to accomplish something so trivial.

Gotcha, thatā€™s the 2nd time tonight I didnā€™t read a post correctly.

@spec485 try this code, runs the thermostat off the motion sensor and can program it for days of week/time/mode etc.

just need some clarification. I have the Radio CT101 and it operates with these modes - HEAT, OFF, COOL, OFF, AUTO, OFF

Will need to modify wackwareā€™s code in this section?

command "heatLevelUp"
	command "heatLevelDown"
	command "coolLevelUp"
	command "coolLevelDown"
	command "switchMode"
	command "switchFanMode"
}

// simulator metadata
simulator {
	status "off"			: "command: 4003, payload: 00"
	status "heat"			: "command: 4003, payload: 01"
	status "cool"			: "command: 4003, payload: 02"
	status "auto"			: "command: 4003, payload: 03"
	status "emergencyHeat"	: "command: 4003, payload: 04"

Cheers!

I have the CT80 and Iā€™m also wondering how to get the mode changes to report properly. It appears the mode and fan changes are happening, but the tiles are not updating correctly for me. For instance, mode never changes from ā€œOffā€ although I can cycle through Heat, Cool, Off, on the tstat. Also, if I change anything on the physical tstat, nothing updates in SmartThings.