Best smoke, fire amd Carbon Monoxide detector for ST?

There’s a list in the deals section of this forum:

List of Home Automation Retailers

1 Like

Hi, did you set up the ecolink listener and if so do you use is through SHM? Are you happy with it? I’m a bit leery after buying one of their motion sensors. We have a mixed set up too with Google/Nest Protects and the rest are standard (feel bad calling them “dumb” lol) smoke detectors. Initially I remembered to use Alexa Guard, but it still can’t be activated through a routine/location based so I forget. Now looking for other options. I don’t want to add a relay switch to my existing smokes. With my recent luck something would happen and the insurance would deny claim. Thanks!

Yes it works great and setup was easy.
I have had it working with no problem.

With the Rboys home intruder app.

They make much better apps then shm.

Todd
650-346-6718

2 Likes

I also tested it a few times by triggering my smoke alarms and the eco worked great and triggered my shm.

Todd
650-346-6718

1 Like

Thank you!

I have the First Alert and it paired in seconds with ST. I did some pretty extensive research and that’s the only one that natively can be added to Smartthings:https://smarthomepursuits.com/best-smartthings-smoke-detector/

However, there are several smoke listeners that work pretty well with your existing smoke alarms

1 Like

I am using the “First Alert Detector” mentioned in the post @JDRoberts. It works very well. I have located it near my wood burning stove in my basement. Because our bedroom is located on the second level, I have set up a routine within SharpTools that that will do two actions in the evening. First it triggers my bedroom echo device to announce that “Smoke or CO2 has been detected”. It also triggers my Dome Siren which is in my first floor living room. I wanted to ensure I was notified in case there was a trigger event in the middle of the evening while we were asleep. If our family is in not home the SharpTools routine sends me a texts indicating that that the detector was triggered. A phone call would be better but I haven’t figured out how to accomplish that setup.

Buy the way, to enable your echo devices to be used in SharpTools you must install the Echo Voice app. Once the Echo devices are available with in SmartThings, SharpTools can discover them and you can use the devices within your SharpTools routines.

2 Likes

I need to replace my OneLink Smoke/CO detectors as the five chirps they are emitting means the CO detector has reached its end of life. I had a OneLink on each floor of the house (basement, main floor, top floor) and if one fired, it would signal the others to fire. I loved it. I have since gotten into Smartthings and would like to integrate some zwave detectors with my Smartthings lighting and door locks. I know nothing about SHM and how to set it up. If I went the Intruder app path, how do I do that? Now that the Classic App is deprecated, I don’t know how to set things up in the new app. Is SHM and intruder app a separate app from Smartthings?

What is SharpTools? Is it like WebCore? I use WebCore for many of my automations.

1 Like

SharpTools is a third-party product which is very popular in the community. It has a lot of different features. It has the ability to create custom dashboards, similar to action tiles if you are familiar with that. It also offers its own rules engine. And the ability to create widgets for android devices.

Very polished, works with both smartthings and habitat. They have a free tier if you only need a few things, or a paid license if you want the more advanced features. You can find lots of discussion threads about it in the forum. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I just answered you on the same topic in another thread:

Smartthings Compatible Smoke/CO Detectors - #8 by JDRoberts

As far as the built-in security features in the smartthings app, the one in the classic app was called SHM (Smart Home Monitor) and the one in the current V3 app is called STHM (SmartThings home monitor). They are similar but with slightly different features. This is a smart app which is available to most smartthings customers, although it may be region locked out of a few countries, I’m not sure.

However, it’s really important to understand that these features are completely dependent on the smartthings cloud being available. Even notifications on your own phone. Even being able to change from armed to disarmed. So it’s not a UL listed security system and could not be. It’s OK for convenience notifications if you want that, but it’s not something you should bet your life on. The company says so themselves in the product usage guidelines, although most people don’t read the fine print.

If you want a security system, get a security system, like Ring or Abode or Simplisafe. :sunglasses:

I have two great smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and they talk to each other upstairs and down.
They don’t play with any smart devices.
So I bought an eco link device that is smart works with smarthings.
It listens to the sounds of fire and smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and it triggers in smarthings.
Works perfectly.
I suggest that approach.

Todd
650-346-6718

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the same one I suggested in the other thread. :sunglasses:

Pacman45 - Here is a video that I recently created that will show you how to setup the SharpTools Web App so that you can create custom dashboards for your SmartThings devices. SharpTools also gives you the ability to write unlimited custom rules within the SharpTools powerful rule engine. VIDEO

Do not miss test it, great tools for customized dashboards and rules, cool way to handle ST, best support ever …