August, Ring, lots of other questions

I’m intrigued by this and it was along the lines I was thinking but I can’t quite think through it.

I see the option to disable the relay, either disabling the physical control, the app control, or both. And I obviously understand how to create an automation.

But could you provide a little more detail on how everything would need to be set?

@sdaltons You can use entire Zen32 as hardwired remote, without cutting or bypassing power. It is kind of tricky.
Have the top switch with option Relay Control: Enable Physical and Zwave. Turn your Top switch On. When the switch is On, change Relay Settings to Disable Physical.
Now what you need is Automation to Toggle On/Off that lamp bulb with the Big Button
@nathancu I have discovered this by mistake. It is nowhere to be found in the user manual.

I was using it this way for some time, but i have switched to Physical and Z-wave as it’s wife-proof (she prefer physical switch, over app), and 4 little buttons control Light Level and Light Temperature. I can always control the lights with app, and she can control with the switch.

A possible followup depending on how this goes:

Does anyone know of a way to prevent someone from turning off a lamp using the turn knob on the lamp itself?

Sort of like how you can get those little light switch covers to block someone from flipping the switch…

Thanks, I will give this a look, assuming I’m understanding correctly.

1. In many cases, the turn knob can be removed altogether. On some lamps, it just unscrews.

2. If you want to modify the lamp itself, that’s possible, but it’s not the kind of project I give advice for over the internet since it involves electrical work, Any repair shop or electrician can do this for you if you want.

3. Sometimes the easiest way is to convert the existing switch to a cord switch and then either just hide the cord behind a piece of furniture or put a little plastic box around it. It’s the same idea as this, but smaller.

There are many styles of dumb inline cord switches available and again most repair shops can convert a table lamp to a cord switch for you if you don’t want to do it yourself. The new in-line switch should cost less than $10 for the part and maybe 30 minutes for the labor.

Sometimes if people have a lamp they love but the rotary knob becomes too hard to use they will convert it to an inline switch because it’s physically easier so it’s a fairly common modification. Back before I ever got into home automation I converted a lamp this way so my service dog could turn it on and off. :dog:

1. if the turn knob is down by the base of the lamp, you can tape over it or put an extra piece over it, often the base from a different lamp. But don’t cover it with anything if it’s up inside the lampshade as it might create a fire hazard.

———-
Converting the lamp to a cord switch would be my preferred solution since it doesn’t change the aesthetics of the lamp and the switch is still available if you need it, but that’s just me.

I suggest you start a new thread in Projects just for this topic. It’s an interesting question, and I’m sure other people will have additional ideas. :sunglasses:

As always, the more topics you put in one thread, the fewer people who will respond—in a forum as busy as this, it’s just easier to keep up with the highly focused threads. 🕵🏽‍♂️

Ok great tips.

1. Just checked, the knob does unscrew, but leaves a tiny screw behind. Not terrible and would obviously serve the intended purpose, but I’m not sure how wife would feel.

2. I very briefly looked at this option earlier and yeah it’s not something I would be interested in doing myself. And this isn’t really that big a deal so taking it to a shop doesn’t seem worth the hassle. Also as you go on to say, not ideal to permanently lose the physical lamp control.

3. Yes, I am very interested in this option. It’s not exactly what I had hoped for but it would do the trick. I’m moderately handy and figure I could handle it.

4. No such luck.

I guess what I was hoping for was something I could screw over the knob, or even the screw that holds the knob, that would essentially lock it in place. An easy solution that could easily be undone if usage cases change.

I’ll keep looking for that while thinking about option 3 above.

Noted about new threads. I have never been much of a thread starter on any message board I visit. I guess I feel like I’m clogging up the place if I make a bunch of new threads. And often my questions here have spun from other things posted in the same thread so it makes sense to me to keep the conversation going there.

But I definitely understand about getting more eyes with a new thread and I may start one for this to see if anyone knows of a little knob disabling gadget like I described.

1 Like

Remove the knob. If you twist it backwards, the knob will unscrew. You’ll be left with a small, short metal post.

1 Like