Arlo Q integration with Smartthings

Yeah, I’ve removed it for now, going back to IFTT for simply arming / disarming based on presence.

Same problem here. Anytime that Smartthings turns on the camera the existing Arlo/Smartthings rules that you have saved previously are erased. As a workaround I deleted all Smartthings rules under the Arlo app then use the Arlo rules for all recording. Smartthings will continue to turn on and off the camera using routines but it doesn’t interfer with the Arlo recording rules and options.

1 Like

+1 Same problem here.

Anyone know how to report a bug? :ant:
This is a pain…

Head’s up…
@csuk
@Tyler

Removed! Not happy with this.

Anybody knows if I can integrate arlo Q bought in America to my U.K. Hub?

Hi @sapiravid,
Yes, you should be able to do this. I have a hub that I bought in the UK and have several Arlo Q Plus devices (bought in the Netherlands) connected to it. Because of that, I would not expect any issues with your combination.

@rscott09 Thanks! That seems to work for me too! I also had the issue of SmartThings changing the setting of the SmartThings Mode to do nothing when it detected something. Every time I had and event, there would be no recording of it. Now that I’ve removed the SmartThings Modes entirely, it seems to stay at whatever mode I set it in the Arlo App.

P.S. I’ve not checked this thoroughly, but the SmartThings unique numbers in their modes seemed to change, so it feels like their just overwriting the previously existing Mode with a default one, causing our changes to the mode to be removed.

Arlo app update today… but I can’t tell what’s changed other than Arlo baby updates…

Can anyone comment on the current state of the Arlo camera integration? In my search for “wired Smartthings compatible camera” it appears there is only 1 option that is the Arlo Q+, I was thinking I would just mount it outside under the eve of my house and just hope for the best that it doesn’t get ruined being outside. It seems it is a real pain to view live feeds though while people are home? Smartthings integration/notifications and such sounds interesting but not if I have to flip back and forth between Arlo app and Smartthings app, that would defeat the whole purpose in my opinion. Maybe there is no camera that suits my needs :frowning:

Was hoping for wired because I have a POE switch and it would be easy to run cable to each location I want a camera, maybe wifi would be better? Just rather not have to deal with batteries and wifi signals…

I have the arlo a working great in smart things, but I cannot stop the arlo app notifications no matter what mode smart things is in.
I only want notifications when set to armed away.

Thanks

Can someone update how the arlo q plays nice with smartthings including motion control.
Thanks

Arlo & Arlo Q still not working properly with Smartthings.

It’s actually ridiculous at this stage.
Smartthings will arm and Disarm but there is a bug in the software preventing the Cameras recording feed once tripped, they revert to “do nothing” instead of “record video”

@Tyler @csuk … any plans to actually fix the broken software you guys tried to implement? I’m getting tired of Samsung Smartthings and it sheer lack of reliability…bugs everywhere, hub always been taking off line due to issues or Multiple patches being needed!! It’s constant. C’mon like, get it right first time eh! I hate to say it but if Apple come out with a hub - I’m gone - at least it’ll work!

Hey Will,

Sorry to hear that you haven’t been having a great experience with the Arlo Camera integration. It sounds to me like you’re trying to “Arm” and “Disarm” the cameras in the Arlo App. Please keep in mind that to keep the cameras working with SmartThings, you must leave them in “SmartThings” mode, set the cameras to “do nothing” and either send a push notification or an e-mail. We recommend choosing push notifications, then blocking notifications from the Arlo App in your phone’s native settings.

I agree. It’s not ideal.

The current iteration is designed for the SmartThings App to completely replace the Arlo App. You can control clip recording via Smart Home Monitor.

We work closely with Netgear and we’re working towards a more elegant solution, but I’ll be the first admit that we have a long way to go for a seamless, congruous integration between the SmartThings platform, Arlo’s cloud, Arlo’s cameras, and both of our Apps.

1 Like

@csuk

Thanks for the reply. I’m aware the Smartthings app is supposed to override the arlo one and I have Smartthings arming and disarming - that bits working.
(Maybe have a look at some of the previous comments from other users just before you went live with the software)

What’s not working is the physical recording when the camera sensors are tripped.

They very purpose of having a security camera!

Can you tell me where I select in the Smartthings app to tell Arlo record for x minutes or don’t record take a photo? I don’t see this function in Smartthings & when I go back in and examine it in arlo it’s always reset to “do nothing”.

My workaround has been to use Smartthings to arm & disarm and IFTT to actually do the heavy lifting and record. IFTT is essentially filling the gap.

I’m open to any other suggestions, for the time being though unless I’m seriously mistaken, Smartthings & Arlo together alone do not work.

DM’d you @Willis

@csuk
@Tyler

So I’m going to eat some humble pie and apologise.
I ran my mouth and suggested there were bugs in the Arlo-Smartthings integration that prevented it from working from day 1. I was wrong. Sorry lads for being an idiot.

@csuk above has been very helpful, patient(!) and kind on helping my get to the route cause of it not working for me.

Arlo & Smartthing does work, and after a weekend of testing - I can say with confidence perfectly!

I’m a heavy smart home user in general from Arlo’s to Smartthings to Alexa, Belkin, Philips hue etc etc etc…so I’d be handy enough with tech and setting them up. I got it wrong this time though.

Arlo and Smartthings works perfectly when used with the “Home Monitor” function of Smartthings.

Set up a security rule if you have one Arlo or custom rules if you have multiple ones like I do. Works perfectly for gen 1 Arlo & Arlo Q

…maybe it’s time I invest in the pro now!
Thanks again @csuk!

5 Likes

Hello! Could anyone please help me with the sensitivity settings in the smartthings app for the arlo q? I want the camera to be very sensitive to motion and audio, the range is 1-9 on movement and 1-5 on audio; but which end of the scale is the very sensitive compared to not very sensitive? I’m getting mixed results :thinking:

Higher values are more sensitive.

However, I’ve found that managing the settings through the Arlo app seems to be a bit better. For instance, I don’t have the “SmartThings” mode in my Arlo setup. I use the built-in geofencing for arming/disarming and a schedule for night time. The only thing that I have ST doing is capturing clips when SHM is armed.

Thanks for the reply!

So ST can still control the ability to capture clips even when the ST mode isn’t turned on in the app?

I wanted to use motion zones in the arlo app too, couldn’t see how to do that in ST app

Yup. You can setup custom monitoring rules in SHM to trigger clips in individual cameras.

As a sample:

SHM > Settings Icon (Gear) -> Custom - > New monitoring rule - > What kind of device - > Motion -> (Select sensor) -> Next -> Select Cameras -> (Select) -> (Set Recorded clip length)

1 Like