Android Landscape Support

I made a feature request on the support forum for Android landscape support. I got a reply they have nothing in the works for it at this time. The Android app has a long ways to go so I can understand it isn’t a priority right now.

However, I was really looking forward to using a cheap wall mounted tablet as a control interface for SmartThings, so I started looking for a way to make landscape work. I didn’t have to look very long…there a lot of apps that can force landscape, like this one for example. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en

It works…but is far from ideal. You only get one row of tiles…but at least they are facing the right way.But, you could take it a step further and change the DPI in the build.prop to fit more on the screen. With a custom rom you can even do application independent DPI settings…man I love Android :slight_smile:

I still strongly believe that full “drag and drop” controls (widgets / gadgets) in the layout of the User’s choice is a preferable design.

http://www.rticorp.com/products/rtipanel.html

Yes – this is definitely a departure from the current SmartThings GUI; but that’s all the more reason it would be useful for the entire API to be open to developers.

Heck … SmartThings elements should be logically convertible to RTI drop-able controls, in case one wishes to use RTI Panel as their default interface.

RTI Panel App sample

Or you could just turn your tablet to portrait orientation, right @coryds? :slight_smile:

@Gray, I could… but landscape looks much sleeker on the wall than portrait. The idea here is to not make it look like a hack job.

@coryds, are you trying to tell me that a tablet in portrait orientation, hanging on the wall inside a $5 IKEA frame, isn’t super classy?

I beg to differ!

Don’t try and convince us you bought a frame @Gray, we all know you just duct taped it up :wink:

And…RTI does ZigBee!

What’s really a pain is smarthings is portrait only and harmony is landscape only.